Chair malfunction prompts Rajya Sabha adjournmentOctober 23rd, 2008 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 23 (IANS) A malfunctioning chair prompted an adjournment of the Rajya Sabha Thursday.It happened midway through zero hour as Deputy Chairman K. Rahman Khan sat down abruptly after rising to his feet in an attempt to soothe frayed tempers while Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) member Brinda Karat was castigating the activities of what she termed Hindu fundamentalist organisations.
As Rahman sat down, the ornate speaker’s chair pitched forward and he had to thrust his hands onto the desk in front of him to maintain his balance, even as an attendant attempted to push the chair back.
As the pandemonium continued, Rahman got up again and then sat down - only for the chair to pitch forward again.
“The house is adjourned for 10 minutes,” he declared and walked into the speaker’s chamber. It was then 12.32 p.m. and for the next few minutes, various parliamentary staffers, including Rajya Sabha secretary general V.K. Agnihotri attempted to wrestle with the problem without success.
In the midst of this, Bharatiya Janata Party MP S.S. Ahluwalia, who had missed out on all the action, strode out of the speaker’s chamber, glanced briefly at all the action around the chair and declared: “Aarey, yeh kursi to toot gayi (Hey, this chair is broken).”
As everyone waited with eager anticipation, Rahman strode in at 12.45 p.m. - three minutes past time - to announce that the house was adjourned for half an hour.
“Sir, make it till 2 p.m. (when the house normally reassembles after lunch),” many members pleaded.
“Ok, the house is adjourned till 1.30,” Rahman declared.
During the emergency, there was much controversy over a film titled “Kissa Kursi Ka” that dealt with the manifold ways politicians adopt to stay in power.
Thursday’s episode was quite a twist in the tale!
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament disrupted again over army chief's claim, Telangana (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Walkout in Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Gujarat Lokayukta rocks parliament for third day - Sep 05, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned till Tuesday over Assam, Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- BJP presses for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned till Thursday (Third Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day - Sep 06, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted over cash-for-votes scandal (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Uproar over corruption, Rajya Sabha adjourned twice (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- BJP targets Chidambaram in parliament (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted over cash-for-votes scandal - Mar 22, 2011
- Telangana issue stalls parliament as MPs unite (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Parliament stalled over Gujarat Lokayukta issue - Sep 02, 2011