‘Chacha-Bhatija’ vehicle theft ring bustedFebruary 4th, 2012 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) A car theft racket run by the “Chacha (uncle)”, who used his age to allay suspicion, and “Bhatija (nephew)”, who disposed off the stolen vehicles, has been busted with the duo’s arrest, police said Sunday.
The car thief (’Chacha’) was identified as Jagdish Chander, 57, while the receiver of the stolen property has been identified as Binder Singh (’Bhatija’).
Chander was arrested on Jan 21 from Kirti Nagar area in west Delhi for his alleged involvement in more than 25 motor vehicle theft cases. Singh was arrested later on information obtained from him.
Chander, who worked as a car dealer in the area, started stealing old cars, mainly Maruti 800s and Santro models and sell these vehicles though Singh, a TV mechanic, said Additional Commissioner of Police V. Renganathan.
Chander disclosed that he had sold the stolen cars for Rs.45,000 to Rs.85,000 depending upon the condition of the vehicle.
He admitted that he was committing the thefts for money to lead a lavish life style and also for providing higher education to his children.
“He used to escape from the suspicious eyes of the public and police due to his age and feeble physique,” said Renganathan.
- Nepali kingpin of Delhi auto thefts arrested - Dec 02, 2011
- Two car thieves held, eight vehicles recovered - Apr 23, 2011
- Man involved in 250 CNG car kit thefts held - Feb 21, 2011
- Super chor 'Bunty' arrested in Bhopal, police confirm - Jan 16, 2012
- Four arrested for car thefts, carjackings - Jan 11, 2011
- Haryana police busts gang of highway robbers - May 05, 2012
- Man involved in 300 car thefts held -- again (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- A septuagenarian held for 86 vehicle thefts - Mar 15, 2011
- Boy shot dead as friend uses real pistol as toy - Oct 04, 2011
- Man, five minors held for stealing rickshaws - Mar 08, 2011
- Car thief's wife fired from Russian Police - Jul 17, 2012
- 13 held for vehicle thefts in Delhi - Jan 24, 2011
- Sarpanch, driver held for killing RTI activist's kin - Feb 13, 2011
- Robbery gang busted in Chandigarh - Apr 11, 2011
- Infamous car thief again escapes arrest - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: binder, car dealer, car theft, car thief, chander, commissioner of police, higher education, information obtained from, jan 21, lavish life, life style, mechanic, motor vehicle theft, nephew, New Delhi, old cars, physique, santro, suspicious eyes, west delhi