Centre stays Rajoana hanging: Badal (Lead)March 28th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) The central government Wednesday stayed the hanging of Babbar Khalsa International terrorist Balwant Singh Rajoana for the Aug 31, 1995 assassination of then Punjab chief minister Beant Singh. The execution was scheduled Saturday.
This was revealed by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his deputy Sukhbir Singh Badal here after their meeting with President Pratibha Patil to whom they submitted a petition seeking mercy for Rajoana.
The Badal father-son duo told reporters that they have a letter from the central government that has stayed the hanging of Rajoana, convicted and sentenced to death by a Chandigarh court, till the Supreme Court disposes of an appeal or till the president decides on the mercy petition.
Officials of Rashtrapati Bhavan said the Badals met the president and submitted the mercy petition on behalf of the Punjab government Wednesday evening.
“We met the president. His (Rajoana) hanging has been stayed,” said Parkash Singh Badal later.
“We have been issued this letter just now which clearly states that the execution of Balwant Singh Rajoana is stayed till the order of the Supreme Court in the matter of criminal appeal or till the order of the President of India on the mercy petition, whichever is later,” said Sukhbir Badal.
- Rajoana's hanging stayed - Mar 28, 2012
- Centre stays Rajoana hanging, Punjab leaders welcome it (Roundup) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sikhs protest to demand Rajoana's release - Mar 28, 2012
- Question mark over hanging of BKI terrorist Rajoana (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2012
- A life lost, tense days as leaders play politics (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 30, 2012
- SGPC wants president to grant clemency to Sikh terrorist - Mar 26, 2012
- Akali Dal asks Punjab government, SGPC to save Rajoana - Mar 25, 2012
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Rajoana to hang Saturday, rules court (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Badal to meet president to seek clemency for Rajoana - Mar 28, 2012
- Patiala jailor again refuses to accept Rajoana's death warrant (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Shutdown hits Punjab, Rajoana appeals for calm (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Punjab jailor wants Sikh terrorist's death warrant deferred - Mar 26, 2012
- Kashmiri Sikhs protest against Rajoana's hanging - Mar 28, 2012
- Rajoana should hang Saturday, rules court - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: babbar khalsa, balwant singh, central government, chief minister, criminal appeal, execution, mercy petition, New Delhi, president of india, president pratibha patil, punjab government, supreme court, wednesday evening