Central varsities likely to consider proposed aptitude testSeptember 29th, 2010 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 29 (IANS) The human resource development (HRD) ministry-proposed aptitude test for class 12 students is likely to be considered for admission by central universities from the next academic session.
Talking to reporters after meeting the vice-chancellors of all universities, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal Wednesday said the VCs agreed that the 12th board marks should not be the sole criteria for securing admission.
“Test a child for knowledge, not only for memory as the 12th exam does,” Sibal said.
Sibal, however, added that Delhi University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Jamia Millia Islamia and Banaras Hindu University are some of the universities which may not adapt the new system.
“If some universities say keep us out of it, we can do that,” he said.
The minister also clarified that it was only a recommendation and the final decision will be taken after two months when a compiled report is submitted.
Among other new measures discussed during the meet was an integrated four year B.A./B.Sc. course starting from next academic year.
“Any student doing a normal B.A. or B.Sc. course can do one additional year and get a B.Ed. Degree. This way we will have a large pool of trained teachers,” he said.
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Jamia sets up admission help desk - May 06, 2011
- Jamia to continue with its minority status: High Court - May 18, 2011
- Jamia to introduce OMR application forms - Apr 13, 2011
- Jamia Millia starts new distant learning course - Apr 26, 2010
- Jamia shortlists MA and MPhil English candidates - Jun 20, 2012
- Jamia to introduce semesters at post-graduate level - Jul 15, 2010
- Jamia extends postgraduate admission date - Jul 14, 2010
- Jamia Millia introduces online tracking of applications - Jun 14, 2010
- Girl power in Jamia (To go with: Turkish language course flavour at Jamia) - Aug 05, 2012
- Delhi University's first cut-offs baffle students - Jun 15, 2011
- Sibal, Khurshid pat Jamia students for spirit of peace - Feb 16, 2010
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
- Jamia declares B.Ed result hours after exam - May 10, 2012
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
Tags: academic session, academic year, admission test, aptitude test, banaras hindu university, delhi university, ed degree, final decision, human resource development, jamia millia islamia, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru university, kapil sibal, measures, New Delhi, pool, sole criteria, universities, vcs, vice chancellors