‘Central government to provide all help to restore calm in Assam’October 8th, 2008 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Oct 8 (IANS) Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed Wednesday assured all support from the central government to restore calm and peace in the violence-hit districts of Assam where 49 people were killed in ethnic clashes over the weekend.”The central government is ready to extend whatever help is required for relief and rehabilitation, including additional security forces to restore complete peace in the area,” the minister told journalists here.
Ahamed Wednesday visited three relief camps in the troubled Darrang and Udalguri districts of northern Assam where three days of ethnic clashes last week claimed 49 lives and displaced an estimated 150,000 people.
“There is still a sense of insecurity among the camp inmates and the need of the hour is to ensure their safety and bridge the divide to restore total peace in the area,” the minister said.
He also announced that free ration for a month would be provided to all relief camp inmates.
“The state government acted swiftly to control the situation and after talking to inmates I found out that they were getting adequate food and other medical help,” Ahamed said.
The minister also held a meeting with Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi in Guwahati.
“The situation is now normal although there is tension in the area with people still scared to return to their homes. Very soon we hope the people would be able to go back to their villages,” the chief minister said.
- Gogoi seeks media help to restore peace - Aug 23, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- PM, Sonia arrive in Guwahati, leave for Kokrajhar - Jul 28, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- PM appeals for peace in Assam, assures proper probe, rehabilitation (Third Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Situation has improved in Assam: Gogoi - Aug 01, 2012
- Assam prays for peace this Eid (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi visits riot-hit areas of Assam - Sep 11, 2012
- Sonia, Shinde visit violence-hit Assam areas - Aug 13, 2012
- Prevent flare-ups in the future: Assam CM to district administration - Oct 11, 2008
- PM speaks to Assam CM, directs him to monitor situation - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam for CBI probe in communal violence - Aug 07, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012