‘Central government should be proactive in helping Sri Lankan Tamils’January 12th, 2009 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 12 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi Monday said he will urge the central government to step up measures to bring an end to the alleged killing of Tamils by Sri Lankan security forces.”The killing of innocent Tamils in Sri Lanka has afflicted our collective conscience. I will again take up the matter with Congress chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, requesting them to speed up proactive moves to solve the problem,” Karunanidhi told reporters here.
Karunanidhi’s statement came after meeting a PMK delegation led by its founder leader S. Ramadoss, VCK boss Thol Thirumavalavan and Dravida Kazhagam leader K. Veeramani.
Ramadoss accused the central government of being inactive in dealing with the issue of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
“The UPA (United Progressive Alliance) has violated the Common Minimum Programme agreed to when all of us contested the 2004 general elections. This is a sore issue for us as Tamils,” Ramadoss said.
Thirumavalavan said the UPA stands to lose “a considerable percentage of votes in Tamil Nadu if it continued to ignore the Tamils’ cry for freedom”.
The Tamil Nadu government had suggested that External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee travel to Colombo to press for a halt of hostilities in Sri Lanka.
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- DMK allots 10 seats to VCK - Mar 01, 2011
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Karunanidhi to raise Sri Lankan Tamil issue with PM, Sonia Gandhi again - Jan 12, 2009
- VCK leader meets Karunanidhi - Mar 16, 2009
- VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Jul 12, 2010
- Karunanidhi pledges to resolve fishermen killing issue with Sri Lanka - Mar 20, 2011
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Karunanidhi to discuss seat-sharing with PM, Sonia - Jan 31, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010