Central government protecting Bajrang Dal: MayawatiAugust 27th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 27 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Wednesday accused the central government of attempting to protect Bajrang Dal for its alleged involvement in Sunday’s Kanpur blast that left two people dead.She was responding to Tuesday’s statement by Union Minister of State for Home Sri Prakash Jaiswal suggesting that Mayawati recommend an inquiry by the Central Bureau of Investigation into the Kanpur blasts.
“None of the more serious blasts, where the loss of life and property was higher than in Kanpur, was handed over to the CBI for investigation,” she told reporters here Wednesday.
Mayawati was referring to the alleged terror attacks in Varanasi, Ayodhya, Gorakhpur and Rampur.
She alleged that the central government’s asking her to recommend a CBI inquiry in the Kanpur blasts showed it “wanted to protect the Bajrang Dal, which is an ally of the BJP.”
“This only proves correct my earlier allegation that the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) and the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) are hand in glove,” Mayawati said.
The chief minister said she would not order a CBI inquiry in the Kanpur blasts as “the UP police, its anti-terrorist squad and special task force are competent enough to investigate such cases”.
She asserted that if the central government ordered a CBI investigation into all major terror attack cases in the country, the Uttar Pradesh Government would also do the same in the case of Kanpur.
Rajiv alias Piyush Mishra and Bhupinder Singh were killed while making crude bombs Sunday afternoon in Kanpur.
On Monday, police recovered some crude hand grenades, lead oxide, red lead, potassium nitrate, bomb pins, timers and batteries from the spot, inside the hostel in Kalyanpur area of Kanpur, about 80 km from here.
- Kanpur blasts case may be transferred to NIA - Apr 01, 2011
- Dead medical officer's kin demands CBI probe, opposition cries foul - Jun 23, 2011
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Five suspended for medical officer's death in jail (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- BJP wants CBI probe against Mayawati - Jun 01, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Day after joining BJP, Kushwaha's premises raided (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Congress betrayed Muslims: Mayawati - Dec 18, 2011
- Decision for CBI probe delayed, says Sachan's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Akhilesh orders probe against former UP power minister - Jun 02, 2012
- Lawyers offer help, girl's family again wants CBI probe - Jun 16, 2011
- Samajwadi Party seeks CBI probe into Allahabad blast - Jul 17, 2010
- BJP in Congress line of fire over Kushwaha as CBI raids premises (Fourth Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- CBI must probe UP girl's murder, says union minister - Jun 15, 2011