Census highlights: India home to 17.5 percent of world populationMarch 31st, 2011 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) India’s headcount has risen to 1.21 billion over the last decade, making it home to 17.5 percent of the world’s population. Following are the highlights of the census data released Thursday.
- India has 623.72 million (51.54 percent) males and 586.46 million females.
- The child sex ratio has declined to 914 females per 1,000 males from 927 females per 1,000 males born as per 2001 data
- The population of India has increased by more than 181 million - 17.64 percent - from 2001-2011.
- The decade is the first, with the exception of 1911-1921, which has actually added fewer people compared to the previous decade.
- With 200 million people, Uttar Pradesh continues to be the most populous state in the country while the Lakshadweep has the least numbers at 64,429
- The number of children in the age group 0-6 has gone down five million since 2001 to 158.8 million
- The overall sex ratio showed a marginal improvement, with 940 women counted for every 1,000 men compared to 933 in the 2001 census.
- Kerala with 1,084 has the highest sex ratio followed by Puducherry with 1,038, Daman and Diu has the lowest sex ratio of 618
- Literacy rate has gone up to 74.04 percent from 64.83 in 2001 - an increase of 9.21 percentage.
- Census 2011: India's population now estimated at 1,210.2 million - Mar 31, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population rises to 1.20 billion, growth rate declines (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Lowest in literacy but with highest sex ratio - Apr 07, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh most populous, Lakshadweep least - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Sex ratio declining in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2012
- Sex ratio of Haryana improves - Aug 12, 2011
- Literacy rises by 9.2 percent, now 74.04 percent - Mar 31, 2011
- Andhra population at 84.6 million, up 11 percent - Mar 31, 2011
- Jharkhand sex ratio above national average - Sep 21, 2011
- Census 2011: Kashmir's population touches 1.25 crore - Apr 07, 2011
- Preliminary census results show 1.21 billion Indians - Mar 31, 2011
- Civil society calls for attention to declining sex ratio - Apr 01, 2011
- India's population rises to 1.20 billion (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: age group, census data, child sex, daman and diu, females, headcount, india home, kerala, lakshadweep, last decade, literacy rate, marginal improvement, New Delhi, population of india, populous state, puducherry, sex ratio, world population