Ceasefire with NDFB extended by six months

January 6th, 2009 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS  

Guwahati, Jan 6 (IANS) New Delhi Tuesday extended a fragile ceasefire with the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) by six months. The move ends uncertainty after the Assam government recommended scrapping the truce blaming the outfit for the Oct 30 serial explosions in the state.”The ceasefire was extended by six months and now we shall abide by the ceasefire ground rules and also urge the central government to also adhere to the modalities worked out,” S. Sanjarang, publicity chief of the NDFB, told IANS.

The ceasefire was extended after a meeting of top NDFB leaders and senior home ministry officials in New Delhi Tuesday.

The term of the ceasefire expired Dec 31 and there was uncertainty with Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi going on record saying the state government had recommended against extending the truce.

“If the NDFB violates the ceasefire ground rules this time, we are going to revoke the terms,” he had said.

The NDFB entered into a ceasefire with New Delhi in 2005.

The outfit last month witnessed a vertical split with its founder president Ranjan Daimary removed from the post.

Daimary, operating out of bases in Bangladesh, reacted angrily saying he was still the president of the outfit, a claim that prompted the NDFB’s general assembly to expel their founder leader.

“We now urge the central government to expedite the peace process by taking forward the negotiations so that the aspirations of the Bodo people are met,” Sanjarang said.

At least 20 NDFB militants were arrested on charges of being involved in the serial Assam bombings Oct 30 in which at least 95 people were killed and 300 wounded.

The pro-talk NDFB faction said the explosions were carried out at the behest of Daimary and that they should not be blamed for the terror attack.

“How can you blame the entire NDFB for the wrong doings of a few people,” Sanjarang asked.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe