Ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in effectJune 19th, 2008 - 10:40 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv/Gaza, June 19 (DPA) The ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip went into effect at 6 a.m. Thursday. Since midnight the militant Palestinians have stopped their bombardment of Israel, said an army spokesman Thursday morning in Tel Aviv. However, earlier Wednesday, about 30 Qassam rockets were fired from the Strip at communities along the Israeli border, lightly injuring one woman.
The cessation of hostilities comes after months of difficult, Egyptian-led indirect negotiations and deadly violence and is to be be valid for six months.
The first phase of the truce involves a mutual end of hostilities.
The second phase will begin after the sides achieve progress on new talks on the release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, who was taken hostage by Hamas militants during a cross border raid on Karem Shalom crossing in the Gaza Strip June 25, 2006.
As part of that phase, Israel is to increase the number of goods allowed into Gaza and Egypt will reopen its border crossing of Rafah with the Strip for an initial one or two days a week, London’s Arabic a-Sharq al-Awsat reported, quoting Egyptian officials.
Just hours before the start of the truce, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert played down expectations and warned that the Israeli army continued its preparations for a large-scale offensive, should the ceasefire fail.
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Hamas delegation in Cairo for talks on Gaza ceasefire - Jan 25, 2009
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Egypt, Hamas agree on truce plan, await Israeli approval - Jan 16, 2009
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Majority of Israelis favour freeing militants in return for Shalit - Dec 26, 2009
- Four doctors visited Israeli soldier held in Gaza Strip: report - Dec 06, 2009
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Egypt building Gaza underground wall - Dec 17, 2009
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Israel frees 19 Palestinian prisoners in proof-of-life deal - Oct 02, 2009
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010