CCTV footage of Ramdev crackdown seized for probe: PoliceJune 7th, 2011 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) Delhi Police Tuesday said they seized recordings of surveillance cameras installed at yoga guru Baba Ramdev’s anti-corruption fast venue at Ramlila ground here last week as part of investigation.
The police statement followed Ramdev’s allegations earlier in the day that they snatched the cameras’ footage from his supporters during the past-midnight crackdown Saturday and were trying to destroy evidence of their atrocities.
“The organising committee installed the CCTVs in co-ordination with police as a safety measure. As a part of investigation we have seized them,” Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat told IANS.
“The CCTVs were installed on our insistence,” he added.
Hundreds of police personnel swooped down on the Ramlila ground just after Saturday midnight when most people at the venue of Ramdev’s agitation were asleep.
Police used batons and tear gas shells to evict the yoga guru and his supporters, triggering chaos and clashes.
“The police took away the footage stored on several hard disks along with equipment supplier Prabhat,” Ramdev supporter Anuj Som told IANS.
According to Som, Prabhat, who has an electronic equipment shop in Savitri Nagar, is missing.
“When I last contacted him he said that police were taking him to Kamla Market police station. However, his phone is switched off since and there is no news of his whereabouts,” said Som.
In Hardwar, Ramdev alleged that the police were trying to destroy the evidences of their atrocities. He said this at his ashram where he has been continuing his fast after being evicted from Delhi.
“If police have not done anything wrong, why did they snatch the CCTV footage from our workers. We installed the CCTV, we paid for it,” he said.
“This is hooliganism of police, they edited the CCTV footage and released the CD. They lodged wrong cases against our workers,” he added.
Ramdev said his supporters were beaten and sent back in trains so that they could not approach the media.
- I've forgiven government: Ramdev - Jun 07, 2011
- Forgiven government, but will continue fast: Ramdev (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Apex court reserves verdict on police action on Ramdev - Jan 20, 2012
- Ramlila Maidan all set for Baba Ramdev's agitation - Aug 07, 2012
- Delhi braces for another Ramdev protest - Aug 08, 2012
- 'Delhi Police can't be blamed for action on Baba Ramdev' - Jul 02, 2011
- Protest in Ghaziabad against action on Ramdev - Jun 07, 2011
- Calling it black day, Modi blames PM - Jun 05, 2011
- Shutdown in Jammu against Ramdev crackdown - Jun 08, 2011
- Delhi Police took decision to evict Ramdev: Chidambaram - Jun 08, 2011
- Rift mars Anna-Ramdev joint fast against corruption (Third Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ensure no police force is used against Anna: Ramdev - Aug 15, 2011
- Government, BJP cross swords over verdict on Ramdev rally - Feb 23, 2012
- Government evasive on Ramdev eviction, apex court told (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- NHRC, NCW should take note of atrocities, says Ramdev - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: agitation, ashram, atrocities, cctvs, clashes, crackdown, delhi police, electronic equipment, evidences, gas shells, hard disks, hooliganism, insistence, organising committee, police spokesperson, police statement, rajan, safety measure, surveillance cameras, yoga guru