CBI yet to take up drug nexus cases in GoaJune 3rd, 2011 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 3 (IANS) More than a month after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) assured the Bombay High Court that it would probe Goa’s police-politician-drug mafia nexus cases, the federal investigation agency has still not begun its investigations.
In a written assurance to the Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court in April, the CBI had tolld Justice S.C. Dharmadhikari and Justice F.M. Reis that the agency would probe three drug related cases in which several police officers and Israeli drug dealers have been arrested.
CBI Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Pravin Salunke said the agency was still awaiting a notification from the union department of personnel and training, authorising the federal agency to take over the cases from the state police.
“We will start investigating once we get the notification,” Salunke said.
The investigation into the drug nexus case, in which Home Minister Ravi Naik’s son Roy has allegedly been involved, is currently in the limbo. Police officials claim that the crime branch had stopped investigating the case after the state government announced that the case would be handed over to the CBI.
The nexus between police, politicians and the drug mafia in Goa was exposed after a Swedish model and a former girlfriend of an Israeli drug dealer, Yaniv Benaim alias Atala, uploaded videos showing Atala boasting of his police links.
Atala, who was arrested by the police last year along with eight other police officers, later jumped bail and is now awaiting extradition in Lima, Peru.
- CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia - Oct 01, 2011
- Will probe Goa drug nexus: CBI to high court - Apr 05, 2011
- Goa's drug mafia nexus: Swedish model's statement recorded - Mar 23, 2012
- CBI to bring Israeli drug dealer to Goa - Aug 17, 2011
- Central government needs time to study Goa drug nexus, court told - Mar 10, 2011
- CBI can't probe Goa drug nexus, high court told - Mar 22, 2011
- Decision next week on CBI probe in Goa drug nexus case - Mar 17, 2011
- Goa Police tried to kill me: Israeli drug dealer - Aug 26, 2011
- High court issues notices in Goa drug nexus probe case - Jan 18, 2011
- Goa's drug trade could have Colombian links: CBI - Sep 09, 2011
- Extradition process on for runaway Israeli drug dealer: Police - May 10, 2011
- Court asks Goa if drug probe being given to CBI - May 26, 2010
- Police helped Israeli drug dealer escape: Goa opposition - Mar 31, 2011
- Goa home minister's son sheltered drug mafia: Parrikar - Jul 16, 2011
- Kamat calls for report on Goa police-politician-drug mafia nexus - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: benaim, bombay high court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, crime branch, department of personnel and training, deputy inspector general, federal investigation, former girlfriend, home minister, investigation agency, lima peru, panaji, police links, police officials, pravin, ravi naik, son roy, swedish model, yaniv