CBI told to complete probe into Azad’s killing by March 12January 23rd, 2012 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 23 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to complete by March 12 its probe into the death of Maoist leader Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad and freelance journalist Hem Chandra Pandey in 2010.
A bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai granted time till March 12 even though the investigating agency had sought time till March 31.
Appearing for the CBI, Additional Solicitor General Harin Rawal told the court that the investigating agency had received the report of the Central Forensic Science Laboratory on Dec 15, 2011, and in the light of this have to examine the witnesses and gather some other evidence.
Azad and Pandey were killed in an alleged gunfight with police on the intervening night of July 1/2, 2010 in the jungles of Adilabad district of Andhra Pradesh.
Pandey’s widow had moved the apex court seeking an independent probe into the killing of her husband and Azad. She said that no fair investigation by Andhra Police was possible as the state police chief and the governor had already said that the gunfight was genuine.
The matter would now come up for hearing on March 12.
- Supreme Court to monitor probe into Azad killing - Apr 25, 2011
- CBI gets time till Jan 15 to probe Maoist leader's killing - Dec 12, 2011
- Apex court tells CBI to give report on Azad's killing (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Azad was killed in genuine shootout, CBI tells apex court - Mar 16, 2012
- CBI to investigate Azad killing, Supreme Court told (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- CBI to probe Maoist leader Azad's killing - Apr 18, 2011
- Andhra ready for CBI probe into Maoist leader's killing - Apr 15, 2011
- Apex court tells CBI to give report on Azad's killing (Second Lead) - May 03, 2012
- CBI to probe Azad's killing, Supreme Court told - Apr 18, 2011
- Azad was killed in genuine shootout, CBI tells apex court (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Supreme Court seeks report on probe into Azad killing (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Dismiss petition against Azad's killing: Government to apex court - Mar 30, 2011
- Apex court tells CBI to give report on Azad's killing - May 03, 2012
- Supreme Court seeks status report on Azad killing - Apr 04, 2011
- CBI begins probe into Maoist leader Azad's killing - May 24, 2011
Tags: aftab, alam, andhra pradesh, apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chandra, desai, forensic science laboratory, gunfight, harin, independent probe, investigating agency, jungles, maoist, prakash, ranjana, rawal, solicitor general, state police