CBI to trace kidney kingpin’s money abroadFebruary 28th, 2008 - 12:15 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Wednesday started the process of sending Letters Rogatory to Canada, Greece and Turkey through the external affairs ministry to check if kidney racket kingpin Amit Kumar had stashed money abroad. “The process has been initiated and the Letters Rogatory would be sent through the concerned court and the ministry to the three countries,” a CBI spokesman said.
Amit Kumar alias Santosh Rameshwar Raut, now in the CBI custody, was arrested earlier this month from a resort hotel in Nepal for allegedly performing 600 illegal kidney transplants over the past decade.
He and his associates allegedly obtained kidneys from poor labourers illegally, often under coercion, and transplanted these to patients from India and foreign countries, including Turkey, Greece, Canada, the US, Britain and those of the Gulf region.
CBI officials suspect that he owns various properties or has invested a large amount of money abroad.
Sleuths of the India’s premier investigating agency were also looking at the list of Amit Kumar’s foreign patients.
“We are also looking at how the money exchanged hands,” the official said.
The racket came to light Jan 24 when the police from Haryana and Uttar Pradesh raided Amit Kumar’s clinic in Gurgaon, Delhi’s suburban town in Haryana state.
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- CBI distributes leaflets to track kidney donors - Mar 17, 2008
- Kidney racket kingpin's sealed house burgled 4th time - Mar 12, 2010
- Kidney kingpin gets bail in fake passport cases - Mar 05, 2010
- Kidney racket kingpin denied bail - May 09, 2008
- CBI files chargesheet against kidney racket kingpin - Apr 29, 2008
- India joins multilateral forum to curb tax evasion - Jan 27, 2012
- Kidney racket: CBI to seek details of women arrested in Athens - Jun 26, 2008
- Kidney racket: CBI likely to invoke stronger law - Feb 29, 2008
- Parliament disrupted over black money (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Delhi cop held for taking bribe, letting off kidney kingpin - Feb 15, 2008
- Kidney scam kingpin's Canadian accounts to be frozen - Apr 12, 2008
- Right to education law, spectrum scam top apex court's agenda - Mar 13, 2011
- Swamy files black money complaint with CBI - Nov 28, 2011
- Kidney kingpin's brother arrested in Delhi - Feb 17, 2008