CBI to reopen murder case of Delhi varsity readerApril 1st, 2008 - 9:50 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is planning to re-open the 1996 murder case of a Delhi University reader after it learnt that tainted former Uttar Pradesh chief secretary Akhand Pratap Singh was buying property in his name and had even forged his will, an official said Tuesday. “During investigations, it has come to light that Singh had purchased several properties in the name of DU reader Govind Mishra and later transferred them in the name of his daughter to avoid detection of his disproportionate assets,” a CBI official said.
“Singh was also found to have forged his (Mishra’s) will,” the official added.
A close friend of Singh, Mishra was shot in August 1996 while he was on his way to the university. He later died in hospital without giving a statement. The case was closed after the investigations did not make any headway.
The premier investigating agency recently filed a charge sheet against Akhand Pratap Singh for acquiring wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income.
The CBI in its charge sheet said that Singh had forged the signature of his father and friend (Mishra) for transferring the properties and routing financial transactions through several fictitious bank accounts.
“Singh owned a bank account in the name of Mishra and even forged his signature to transfer property in the name of his daughter,” the official said.
“Singh had built a palatial house in Lucknow after combining three plots, one of which belonged to Mishra.”
Singh, a 1967-batch IAS officer who retired in 2003, had invested huge sums of money in several private limited companies with his relatives, friends and family members, who were shown as promoters and directors of the companies.
- Court rejects former bureaucrat's plea in corruption case - Mar 05, 2009
- CBI clerk, seven others sent to jail for fraud - Sep 06, 2012
- CBI allowed to quiz court clerk over fraud - Sep 05, 2012
- Case filed against former Dental Council chief - Sep 23, 2011
- Haryana panel formed on takeover of Chautala trusts - Aug 24, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh IT commissioner faces arrest for forgery - Nov 11, 2010
- Corruption case against Delhi Police officer - Feb 24, 2012
- Court summons former Uttar Pradesh chief secretary in graft case - Jul 22, 2008
- CBI court issues fresh summons for former judge - May 18, 2011
- CBI officer probing Adarsh scam transferred - Jul 05, 2012
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Fodder scam: 64 convicts get jail terms in one case (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Bihar opens school in tainted officer's seized house - Sep 08, 2011
- Convicted Punjab minister quits, resignation accepted (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Fodder scam: Key facts - Jan 31, 2012