CBI to question two former Kerala ministersFebruary 18th, 2008 - 5:49 pm ICT by admin
Kochi, Feb 18 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will soon question two former Kerala power ministers, Pinarayi Vijayan of Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) and G. Karthikeyan of the Congress party, over a contract awarded to a Canadian firm for modernisation hydro-electric plants over a decade ago. The agency in an affidavit before the Kerala High Court Monday said that it will question both Vijayan and Karthikeyan on the issue but did not set any time frame for it.
Karthikeyan had initiated the discussions with the Canadian firm SNC Lavlin in 1995 for modernisation of three hydroelectric plants in the state. Two years later Vijayan, now CPI-M state secretary, had signed the contract.
However Comptroller and Auditor General of India found deviations from the prescribed procedures in the selection of the projects as well as in the award of the contract.
A case was filed in the Kerala High Court, which Jan 16 last year order a CBI probe into the issue.
Editor of a Malayalam magazine recently moved court over the alleged slow pace of investigation.
The affidavit, submitted by CBI, said that the issue is of a highly technical nature and hence the agency is banking on an expert panel for advice, adding, it would be inappropriate to say when the investigation would be over and when the two former ministers would be questioned.
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- CBI questions former Kerala minister in power firm scam - Sep 20, 2009
- Reprieve for Vijayan in SNC Lavalin case - Apr 17, 2010
- CBI finalises charges in Kerala graft case - Jan 21, 2009
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- Pinarayi Vijayan gets bail in SNC Lavalin graft case - Dec 30, 2009
- Charges finalised in 12-year-old Kerala graft case (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Kerala court asks CBI to complete graft probe in four months - Sep 23, 2008
- Embarrassed CPI-M leadership keeps mum over corruption case - Jan 22, 2009
- Antony not to be witness in Lavalin graft case: court - Jan 04, 2010
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notices to CBI, Kerala Govt on Vijayan case - Aug 31, 2009
- Kerala's people cannot be misled by fabricated cases: Vijayan - Jan 24, 2009