CBI to probe Uttar Pradesh medical officers’ killingsJuly 27th, 2011 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 27 (IANS) The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court Wednesday ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the killings of two chief medical officers, and the alleged financial bungling in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), a lawyer said.
A two-judge bench pronounced the order on a petition filed by NGO We the people.
The two CMOs (family welfare) — Vinod Arya and B.P. Singh — were shot dead in Lucknow in October 2010 and April 2011 respectively. The two killings are believed to be linked to the alleged large-scale financial irregularities in the NRHM programmes being run in Lucknow.
“The CBI will have to submit its report into the killings of the two CMOs and the alleged NRHM irregularities in Lucknow within three months,” petitioner’s counsel Prince Lenin told IANS.
The Mayawati government last week had already recommended a CBI inquiry into the two killings and anomalies in the NRHM finances in Lucknow.
Award of huge contracts for supply of goods and equipment under the centrally-funded NRHM and large-scale financial bungling are believed to be the cause behind the murders of Arya and Singh, as also the mysterious death of deputy chief medical officer Y.S. Sachan in a Lucknow jail.
Sachan was arrested on charges of committing financial irregularities in NRHM projects. He was found dead under mysterious circumstances June 22 in a Lucknow jail hospital’s toilet.
- Rahul attacks Mayawati government over health funds - Jul 21, 2011
- Five suspended for medical officer's death in jail (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Register murder case, demands Uttar Pradesh doctor's wife (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into doctors' killing, medical graft - Jul 20, 2011
- Dead medical officer's kin demands CBI probe, opposition cries foul - Jun 23, 2011
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- Medical officer's death sparks protests in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 23, 2011
- Rahul attacks Mayawati government over health funds (Lead) - Jul 21, 2011
- Samajwadi Party demands Mayawati's dismissal - Jun 25, 2011
- SC/ST panel questions Uttar Pradesh on doctor's death - Jun 25, 2011
- CBI to probe rural health scheme in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh jail death: Family plans legal action - Jun 24, 2011
- Rights panel serves notices to Mayawati government - Jun 24, 2011
- Court reserves judgment on Uttar Pradesh rural health scam - Sep 16, 2011
- Ready to face jail death probe: Uttar Pradesh official - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, anomalies, arya, b p singh, cbi inquiry, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, cmos, family welfare, financial irregularities, killings, lenin, medical officer, medical officers, murders, mysterious circumstances, mysterious death, national rural health, national rural health mission, petitioner