CBI to probe rural health scheme in Uttar Pradesh (Lead)November 15th, 2011 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 15 (IANS) The Allahabad High Court Tuesday ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe alleged financial lapses in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) across Uttar Pradesh, a lawyer said.
The Lucknow bench of the high court comprising Justice Pradeep Kant and Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi passed the order on a public suit filed by local journalist Sachidanand.
“The court has directed the CBI to probe alleged financial anomalies in NRHM projects across Uttar Pradesh since 2005 within four months, and submit a report,” the petitioner’s lawyer said.
“The same bench earlier ordered a CBI inquiry into the irregularities in NRHM projects in Lucknow on a petition filed by NGO We, The People,” he added.
In September, the state government told the court that as the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) was already conducting a special audit of the projects of the central government-funded NRHM, there was no need to involve the CBI.
The murders of two chief medical officers (Family Welfare) - Vinod Arya and B.P. Singh - in the past year or so were believed to be linked to alleged large-scale financial irregularities in the NRHM programmes.
Arya and Singh were shot dead in Lucknow in October 2010 and April 2011, respectively. The Uttar Pradesh government had recommended a CBI inquiry into the two killings.
- Court reserves judgment on Uttar Pradesh rural health scam - Sep 16, 2011
- New twist in demand for probe into health mission funds - Jul 25, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh questioned on health scheme funds - Jul 18, 2011
- CBI to probe Uttar Pradesh medical officers' killings - Jul 27, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into doctors' killing, medical graft - Jul 20, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Court verdict on CBI probe into doctor's murder July 14 - Jul 12, 2011
- NHRM scam: CBI raids in UP, Gujarat - Aug 30, 2012
- High Court too orders CBI probe into doctor's murder - Jul 14, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Rahul attacks Mayawati government over health funds - Jul 21, 2011
- CBI raids former UP health minister - Jun 02, 2012
- Register murder case, demands Uttar Pradesh doctor's wife (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, anomalies, arya, awasthi, b p singh, cag, cbi inquiry, central bureau of investigation, central government, comptroller and auditor general, family welfare, financial irregularities, lapses, medical officers, national rural health, national rural health mission, petitioner, pradeep, ritu raj, uttar pradesh government