CBI takes over Netai carnage caseFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 22 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Tuesday officially took over investigation into the Jan 7 Netai village shootings in West Bengal’s West Midnapore district, in which nine people were killed and several others injured.”We took over the case from West Bengal Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) this (Tuesday) evening. An officer of deputy police superintendent rank, B.K. Pradhan has been appointed as the investigation officer of the case,” said CBI’s Superintendent of Police and in-charge of Special Crime Branch, Kolkata, Arun Bothra.
After hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking a CBI inquiry into the Netai carnage case, the Calcutta High Court Feb 18 expressed dissatisfaction over the probe then conducted by the CID and directed the state government to hand over the case to the CBI. The lawsuit was filed by the Calcutta High Court Bar Association.
Nine people, including four women, were killed and 28 others injured in the Jan 7 clashes triggered by assailants allegedly backed by the ruling Marxists in Netai near the Maoist stronghold Lalgarh in West Midnapore district.
“Officers of the CBI Kolkata unit went to the CID headquarters - Bhabani Bhawan - and all the related documents of the case have been handed over to them. Even the two accused - Abani Singh and Asiwani Chalak - arrested and remanded in our custody have also been handed over,” CID’s Additional Director General Raj Kanojia told IANS.
“We will surely visit Netai village and the house from where the assailants allegedly fired at the common people. But we are yet to fix the date of our visit,” Bothra told IANS over phone.
- Eight held for Netai carnage in Bengal (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Four held for Netai carnage in Bengal - Mar 14, 2011
- CBI team visits Netai to investigate Jan 7 killings - Feb 26, 2011
- Netai killings: Judicial custody for two CPI-M leaders - Feb 27, 2011
- Lalgarh carnage: Police custody for 2 CPI-M leaders - Feb 15, 2011
- CBI files preliminary report on Netai killings - Mar 04, 2011
- CBI submits charge sheet in Netai killings - Apr 04, 2011
- High court directs CBI to probe Jan 7 Netai killing - Feb 18, 2011
- Lalgarh carnage: Police announce reward for information - Feb 12, 2011
- Two CPI-M leaders arrested for Lalgarh carnage - Feb 14, 2011
- State files details of CID probe in Netai carnage - Feb 04, 2011
- Lalgarh killings: Calcutta High Court orders CBI probe - Feb 18, 2011
- One held for Lalgarh carnage - Jan 14, 2011
- Lalgarh killings: Calcutta High Court refuses to order CBI probe - Jan 19, 2011
- Gyaneshwari Express case handed over to CBI - Jun 10, 2010
Tags: assailants, calcutta high court, carnage, cbi inquiry, central bureau of investigation, common people, crime branch, criminal investigation department, department cid, deputy police, dissatisfaction, four women, jan 7, maoist, marxists, midnapore district, police superintendent, public interest litigation, tuesday evening, west bengal police