CBI submits charge sheet against Atiq AhmedJuly 17th, 2008 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 17 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation Wednesday filed in the CBI court here a charge sheet against Atiq Ahmed, a member of parliament, officials said Thursday. Expelled from the Samajwadi Party earlier this year, Ahmed, who represents the Phoolpur constituency of Allahabad, has over 150 criminal cases lodged against him. He was on the run since the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) came to power in Uttar Pradesh. He was arrested by Delhi Police in February.
Besides Atiq Ahmed, the CBI also submitted a charge sheet against Rakesh Sachan, a former legislator of the Samajwadi Party.
“The charge sheet was submitted in connection with a case lodged in 2005, probed by the CBI on the directions of the Allahabad High Court,” an official said.
“The Debt Recovery Tribunal ordered the auction of M/s Rajendra Steel having units in Kanpur and Raipur. The auction was to be held in Allahabad and both Ahmed and Sachan are accused of threatening and planning the abduction of bidders,” the official said.
Besides the charge sheet, the CBI also submitted its progress report on the probes conducted by it in other cases.
The CBI has also lodged three cases against Atiq Ahmed in Allahabad, first in 2002 under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Gangster Act and two other cases in 2003 under the Arms Act.
According to official records, Ahmed was facing trial in 35 criminal cases in different courts at the time of his arrest.
“We will soon submit two more charge sheets and have sought a time of 90 days to finish the other probes,” a CBI official told IANS, preferring anonymity.
- NRHM scam: CBI registers cases against two officials - Aug 04, 2011
- CBI charge sheets Jagan, 12 others - Mar 31, 2012
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- CBI charge sheets Jagan, 12 others (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- CBI begins probe in Sachan death - Jul 15, 2011
- Andhra ACB files charge sheet in cash-for-bail case - Aug 13, 2012
- Five suspended for medical officer's death in jail (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- CWG scam: Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- NRHM scam: CBI arrests ex-CMO in Lucknow - May 07, 2012
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- 2G case: Raja's plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- CBI charge sheets Jagan, 12 others in illegal assets case (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Court verdict on CBI probe into doctor's murder July 14 - Jul 12, 2011
- Dead medical officer's kin demands CBI probe, opposition cries foul - Jun 23, 2011