CBI sleuths visit Visva Bharati to probe Tagore medal theftDecember 9th, 2008 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
Santiniketan (West Bengal), Dec 8 (IANS) Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sleuths visited Visva Bharati university Monday as part of their reopened probe into the theft of Rabindranath Tagore’s Nobel Prize medallion and other memorabilia.Led by the federal agency’s deputy superintendent of police Partha Sarathi Basu, the sleuths visited various parts of the university, including its oldest building Santiniketan Griha and the Rabindra Bhavan museum from where the medallions were stolen four years and eight months back.
“We have got some clues. We spoke to some officers,” Basu said, after a two-hour visit.
A West Bengal court Sep 26 gave permission to the CBI to re-open the probe, following a petition from the federal investigative agency.
H. Bhutia, additional chief judicial magistrate at Birbhum district’s Bolpur town, has asked the CBI to file a status report on its investigation Dec 17.
Stating that it had stumbled upon “vital clues”, the CBI Sep 18 in a petition sought the Bolpur court’s clearance to re-open the theft case.
The CBI had closed the case, saying its investigation was not going anywhere.
The sensational theft of the medallion and 47 other memorabilia from Rabindra Bhawan at Santiniketan in Bolpur came to light March 25, 2004.
- CBI allowed to re-probe theft of Tagore's Nobel medallion - Sep 26, 2008
- Nobel medal theft case can be reopened: CBI - Apr 24, 2010
- Troopers arrested for harassing, assaulting girl students - Feb 06, 2011
- Mamata opposes CBI plea to close Tagore Nobel medal theft case - Aug 23, 2009
- Mamata urges PM to continue Nobel theft probe - Aug 27, 2009
- President Patil to visit Visva Bharati Tuesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Visva-Bharati gears up to receive another Nehru-Gandhi scion - Sep 13, 2010
- One-man panel to probe Visva Bharati corruption charges - Jan 03, 2010
- Viswa-Bharati shocker: PMO seeks report, earden gets bail (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- UNESCO representative visits Visva-Bharati to asses its legacy - Oct 06, 2010
- Girl injured in acid attack - Apr 14, 2011
- Viswa-Bharati row: Warden gets bail, court censures police (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Mamata lays foundation stone for Rabindra Museum - Aug 08, 2010
- Sit-in at Visva Bharati in Hazare's support - Apr 08, 2011
- Rahul gets tumultuous welcome in Santiniketan - Sep 14, 2010