CBI should question judges in bribery scam: defence counselSeptember 1st, 2008 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 1 (IANS) A court here Monday sent two accused in the cash-for-judge bribery scam in Central Bureau of Investigation custody for two more days, even as their lawyers argued that neither the CBI nor the police tried to approach and question the judges whose names have figured in the scandal.A special CBI court Monday evening sent former Haryana advocate general Sanjeev Bansal and another accused in CBI custody for two more days in the scam that rocked the city two weeks back.
Bansal, his assistant Parkash, property dealer Rajiv Gupta and Nirmal Singh were produced in the jam-packed court of Special CBI Judge Jagdeep Jain. The CBI sought a seven-day custody of the accused for further interrogation.
“The Chandigarh police and CBI officials are continuously saying there is a nexus of lawyers and judges but till date they are unable to explain this nexus,” argued defence counsel in the court.
“If they really want to break this alleged nexus then they have to interrogate Nirmaljit Kaur and Nirmal Yadav, the Punjab and Haryana High Court judges whose names have also figured in the case. But they are afraid of going to the door of the judges and are avoiding their questioning,” defence counsel said.
Bansal and Gupta have been sent to police remand for two days while Parkash and Singh have been sent to judicial custody.
The special CBI court issued a non-bailable warrant Monday against key accused Ravinder Singh, a Delhi-based hotelier who is still absconding, till Sep 14.
The scam came to light after an assistant of Bansal got a packet containing Rs.1.5 million delivered at the residence of high court judge Nirmaljit Kaur Aug 13.
The judge reported the matter to the police. Police investigations revealed that the packet was supposed to be delivered to another high court judge, Nirmal Yadav.
- SC no to quashing chargesheet against Nirmal Yadav - Sep 10, 2012
- High court dismisses ex-judge's plea against prosecution - Nov 14, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against judge in Chandigarh bribery scandal (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- CBI court issues fresh summons for former judge - May 18, 2011
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- Cash-for-judge scam: bar association not allowed to argue - Feb 15, 2010
- Cash-at-door scam: Court adjourns hearing - May 11, 2011
- Court asks CBI not to close cash-for-judge case - Dec 24, 2009
- Ex-judge gets bail in cash-in-bag case - Aug 27, 2011
- Bar association challenges CBI in cash-for-judge scam - Feb 01, 2010
- Complainant in cash-for-judge scam fails to appear in court - Jan 11, 2010
- Cash-for-judge scam: Court to announce bail plea order Monday - Sep 06, 2008
- Cash-for-judge scam reaches last stages in Chandigarh - Dec 20, 2009
- Prime accused in cash-for-judge scam surrenders - Sep 20, 2008
- Cash-at-door scam: Court orders CBI to probe more - Mar 26, 2010