CBI should probe Dana Sangma’s death, says FamilyMay 18th, 2012 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) Accusing Haryana Police of a shoddy probe into the suicide of Manipuri student Dana Sangma at Amity University last month, her family members have asked the high court to transfer the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
“We have filed a petition in the Punjab and Haryana High Court, pleading for the transfer of the case to CBI as we are not happy with the progress made by local police,” Balsame Sangma, the victim’s elder sister, told reporters.
Dana, an MBA student, committed suicide in her hostel room April 24 after she was allegedly humiliated for cheating in an exam.
Balsame Sangma said her sister was subjected to a “different treatment”. However, when her father took up the issue with the university, Dana was told to concentrate on her studies.
“She had called our father a couple of times about being treated differently but she said she will manage it,” Balsame said.
Victor D. Sangma, a relative, said Haryana Police were favouring the institute.
“Dana’s family members were not allowed to enter the university and her body was removed from the hostel room before her local guardian arrived. This raises several questions,” Victor D. Sangma said.
He said that police had refused to share details of the case with the family members and urged Home Minister P. Chidambaram to take a tough stance on the matter.
- Probe Dana Sangma's death, family urges CBI (Lead, superseding previous story) - May 18, 2012
- Northeast students want CBI to probe deaths of Loitam, Sangma - May 13, 2012
- Gurgaon students hold demonstrations for Dana Sangma - May 01, 2012
- Amity students hold candlelight vigil for Dana Sangma - Apr 27, 2012
- No evidence of racial bias against Dana: Amity varsity - May 04, 2012
- 'Personal reasons may have driven Dana to suicide' (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Case under SC/ST act against Amity - Apr 26, 2012
- Accused of cheating MBA student hangs herself - Apr 24, 2012
- Chidambaram denies discrimination against northeast students (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- PM assures justice for dead northeast students - May 10, 2012
- Suicides in Gurgaon: Over 100 cases in four months - May 11, 2012
- Meghalaya CM demands law for safety of N-E students - Apr 30, 2012
- Engineering girl student commits suicide - May 21, 2012
- Northeast students protest Manipuri student's death (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Police hunt for Facebook lover for girlfriend's suicide - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: amity university, april 24, cbi, central bureau of investigation, committed suicide, dana, elder sister, family members, guardian, home minister, hostel room, manipuri, mba student, New Delhi, p chidambaram, petition, punjab and haryana high court