CBI seeks two months to consider Quattrocchi red corner noticeApril 30th, 2009 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Thursday filed in court its status report with respect to the revoking of the red corner notice against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi in the Bofors gun payoff case and sought two months to consider its options.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja fixed the next date of hearing on Sep 8.
Filing the report in her court, CBI counsel Additional Solicitor General P.P. Malhotra contended that attempts to extradite Quattrocchi from Argentina have failed because of various reasons and it did not seem possible in the near future.
However, Malhotra assured the court that the CBI was keeping all options open and sought two months time to consider them.
The CBI also informed the court that the red corner notice was revoked by the agency on Nov 25, 2008.
The case against Quattrocchi, known to be close to the family of late Rajiv Gandhi, who was prime minister in 1987 when the bribery scandal broke, has taken tortuous twists and turns after he was named in a CBI chargesheet as the conduit for the Bofors bribe in 1999.
Quattrocchi has managed to evade interrogation.
The nearest the CBI came to him was in February 2007 when Quattrocchi was detained in Argentina on the basis of an Interpol warrant.
But the CBI took time in translating documents that were to be presented in the designated court there and also put up a half-hearted effort towards his extradition. It finally lost the case for his extradition four months later.
- CBI seeks two months to study options to nail Quattrocchi (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Hearing deferred on CBI's move to close Quattrocchi case - Jul 05, 2010
- CBI gets two weeks for decision on Quattrocchi case - Sep 08, 2009
- Chronology of Bofors scandal - Jan 03, 2011
- Delhi Court to hear Bofors pay-off case today - Sep 08, 2009
- CBI wants Quattrocchi case withdrawn despite new twist (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- CBI to stop prosecution against Quattrocchi (Roundup) - Sep 29, 2009
- Decision on dropping case against Quattrocchi Jan 4 - Dec 14, 2010
- Hearing on Bofors case extended till September 8 - Apr 30, 2009
- It was only question of time before quashing Quattrocchi proceedings - Sep 29, 2009
- Bofors payoff closure case deferred to Thursday (Intro Roundup) - Jan 04, 2011
- Authenticity of CBI counsel in Quattrocchi case questioned - Oct 22, 2009
- Court upholds CBI plea in Bofors case (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Court allows closure of Bofors case, relief for Quattrocchi (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Withdraw Quattrocchi's name from Bofors case, CBI tells court - Oct 03, 2009