CBI seeks Interpol help for Fiona Mackeown’s statementFebruary 20th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 20 (IANS) After unsuccessfully trying to meet Fiona Mackeown in Britain for over two months, India’s Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has sought the Interpol’s help in recording her statement in the case of her daughter Scarlett Keeling’s mysterious death a year ago.
In an application submitted to the Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court, the CBI has said that a letter rogatory - a formal request to the judicial authority of a foreign country - seeking assistance in recording evidence was being processed to ensure that no further time was lost, a CBI source said Friday.
“Interpol, London, has desired that a letter rogatory be sent for the aforesaid purpose (recording statements) and as such a letter rogatory under Section 166-A of the Criminal Procedure Code is under process,” Pramod Mudbhatkal, CBI additional superintendent of police, Special Crime Branch, has said in his statement to the high court.
The CBI has been entrusted with the task of probing the rape and suspected murder of 15-year-old Scarlett at Anjuna beach in February last year, after investigations by the Goa police came under a cloud.
Sources in the CBI said after their sleuths were unable to meet Mackeown in December and January, it was decided to pursue the investigations in a two-pronged manner.
“We have also set in motion the judicial process as desired by the Interpol. We will try to meet Fiona in person as well,” a CBI official said.
The CBI also informed the high court that the agency had proposed to visit Mackeown in London between Dec 18 and 23 after coordinating the details, both by e-mail and telephonically.
“She informed by e-mail on Dec 17 and Jan 7 that she was not in the UK at the time,” the CBI has stated.
The CBI was further infuriated after Mackeown could not arrive in India subsequently due her inability to obtain a visa.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Scarlett case dragging, CBI prosecutor wants to withdraw - Feb 03, 2011
- Goa's drug mafia nexus: Swedish model's statement recorded - Mar 23, 2012
- Fiona can depose via video conference in Scarlett case: CBI - Apr 05, 2010
- Scarlett's boyfriend's aunts thought evil possessed him: Fiona - Jul 30, 2010
- Website publishes sorry aftermath of British teenager's killing in Goa - Aug 01, 2009
- Scarlett's mother to depose in Goa court July 30 - Jul 26, 2010
- 'Probe Goa home minister's son in Scarlett case' (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
- Scarlett murder: CBI has queries for mother Fiona - Mar 11, 2009
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Goa court rejects CBI plea in Scarlett murder case - Mar 06, 2009
- CBI approaches high court in Scarlett murder case - May 09, 2009
- Goa home minister's sons draw salaries as personal aides - Apr 07, 2011
- Goa house disrupted 4th time over drug nexus probe - Jul 29, 2010
- Goa house din over allegation against home minister - Aug 03, 2010