CBI raids premises of CWG officials (Lead)February 18th, 2011 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) Premises of senior officials of the Organising Committee (OC) of the 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) were Friday raided in the capital by the CBI for suspected irregularities in overlays contracts, officials said.”Raids were conducted at various locations today (Friday) morning,” a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) official told IANS.
The CWG held Oct 3-14 last year were blemished by allegations of massive financial irregularities and corruption.
The CBI earlier arrested four senior CWG officials - T.S. Darbari, Sanjay Mahindroo, M. Jayachandran and Shekhar Deorukhkar. All have been granted bail except Deorukhkar who was arrested Feb 11.
Binu Nanu, director of Meroform Indian Pvt Ltd (France) and G.L. events Pvt Ltd, was also arrested and is in jail for his alleged involvement in the row over the grant of Rs.600 crore overlays contracts for the CWG.
Overlays works included the supply of tents, portable toilets and air conditioners.
The government sacked OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi and OC secretary general Lalit Bhanot Jan 24 following allegations of corruption.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Feb 16 said that the “wrongdoers” behind the CWG corruption would not escape.
- Kalmadi aide's CBI custody extended (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- CBI raids CWG offices - Feb 18, 2011
- Kalmadi aide's CBI remand extended - Feb 17, 2011
- CWG scam: CBI raids five Organising Committee officials - Feb 18, 2011
- Kalmadi's aide, businessman sent to judicial custody - Feb 19, 2011
- CWG overlays scam: Judicial custody for two till March 19 (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Kalmadi's close aide Shekhar remanded to CBI custody for two more days - Feb 17, 2011
- CWG scam: Two sent to judicial custody till March 19 - Mar 05, 2011
- CBI arrests Kalmadi's close aide in Pune - Feb 11, 2011
- CBI questions Kalmadi on CWG irregularities (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Kalmadi quizzed again, aides face more charges (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- CWG scam: Court issues notice to CBI on accused's bail plea - Feb 01, 2011
- Kalmadi aide sent to five-day CBI custody - Feb 12, 2011
- CBI apprehends Kalmadi aide in Pune (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- CWG scam: Defiant Kalmadi says ready to face any probe - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, air conditioners, cbi raids, central bureau of investigation, financial irregularities, friday morning, jan 24, jayachandran, lalit bhanot, manmohan, manmohan singh, organising committee, portable toilets, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, pvt ltd, sanjay, secretary general, senior officials, shekhar