CBI questions Kalmadi on CWG irregularities (Lead)March 15th, 2011 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) For the second time in two months, Suresh Kalmadi, the former chairman of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee, was Tuesday quizzed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the alleged financial irregularities in the preparations for last year’s mega event.
“He arrived at our headquarters at 10.15 a.m. and is being questioned,” a CBI official said late Tuesday afternoon.
According to sources, Kalmadi is being questioned on the alleged irregularities in a Rs.1.07 billion ($37 million) contract with a Swiss company for time-keeping equipment for the Oct 3-14, 2010 event.
Kalmadi’s two close aides - Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma - were sent to 14 days’ judicial custody March 1 in connection with financial lapses in the same contract. This was extended Tuesday till March 29. The CBI had arrested the duo Feb 23.
Also on Tuesday, the Delhi High Court Tuesday granted bail to Binu Nanu, an official of a private firm who was in jail for his involvement in the controversy over granting a Rs.600 crore overlays contract for the Games.
Three other former members of the CWG organising committee - T.S. Darbari, Sanjay Mohindroo and M. Jayachandran - were arrested by the CBI late last year for alleged irregularities in the run-up to the Games. They were granted bail earlier this year.
This is the second time that Kalmadi is being questioned by the premier investigative agency after Jan 5, an official said.
On Dec 24, 2010, Kalmadi’s residential premises in New Delhi, Mumbai and Pune had been raided by the CBI. The agency also searched the premises of Kalmadi’s personal secreatary Manoj Bhure.
On March 1, the CBI had searched the bank lockers of Kalmadi that had been sealed last month.
- Kalmadi quizzed again, aides face more charges (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- CBI raids premises of CWG officials (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- CBI raids CWG offices - Feb 18, 2011
- CWG scam: Court grants bail to firm's official (Second lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Kalmadi aide's CBI remand extended - Feb 17, 2011
- CBI apprehends Kalmadi aide in Pune (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- CWG scam: Defiant Kalmadi says ready to face any probe - Mar 05, 2011
- Kalmadi to appear before CBI next week - Dec 29, 2010
- CWG scam: CBI raids five Organising Committee officials - Feb 18, 2011
- Kalmadi aide's CBI custody extended (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Kalmadi evades CBI, may be quizzed Wednesday (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Kalmadi ducks CBI, aides Bhanot and Bhore questioned - Jan 04, 2011
- Kalmadi evades questioning by CBI (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- CBI searches three CWG officials' homes, two booked (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- CWG scam: Court grants bail to a firm's official (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: bhanot, cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, crore, delhi high court, financial irregularities, investigative agency, jayachandran, judicial custody, lapses, lockers, organising committee, private firm, quizzed, residential premises, sanjay, secreatary, swiss company, v k verma