CBI questions Andhra home minister in mining scamOctober 29th, 2011 - 12:29 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 29 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) questioned Andhra Pradesh Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy in connection with an illegal mining case involving former Karnataka minister and mining baron Gali Janardhana Reddy, sources said.
A team of CBI officials Friday night questioned the minister in her office for two hours till 11 p.m., sources said.
The investigating agency quizzed Sabita regarding the mining leases given to Janardhana’s Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC), allegedly involved in illegal mining in Anantapur district bordering Karnataka.
Sabita was minister for mines in Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy’s cabinet from 2004 to 2009, when OMC was granted leases and permits for iron ore mining.
The home minister was questioned soon after CBI once again grilled Indian Administrative Service officer Srilakshmi for four hours at its office. She was the mining secretary when OMC was granted leases.
The federal agency had already questioned Srilakshmi and former director of mines and geology V.D. Rajagopal in connection with the alleged violation of rules for granting mining leases to OMC.
Janardhana, who owns OMC, and his brother-in-law and OMC Managing Director Srinivasa Reddy are already lodged at Chanchalguda Central Jail here. They were arrested by CBI Sep 5 from Bellary in Karnataka.
By questioning Sabita and Sriklakshmi, the CBI has stepped up investigations into the illegal mining case registered in 2009.
CBI Joint Director V.V. Lakshminarayana had said Oct 27 that they would soon file the chargesheet in the case.
The investigating agency had already told the special court here that the illegal mining was carried out in collusion with several public servants.
- Ex-Andhra official jailed in illegal mining case - Nov 21, 2011
- Janardhana Reddy's bail plea dismissed yet again - Jan 31, 2012
- Top Andhra official appears before CBI - Nov 17, 2011
- CBI arrests OMC director in illegal mining case - Dec 02, 2011
- Judicial custody of illegal mining case accused extended - Jan 25, 2012
- Andhra ex-official's bail stayed in mining case - Dec 16, 2011
- Illegal mining: Andhra woman official moves Supreme Court - Jan 04, 2012
- Woman IAS officer sent to jail in illegal mining case - Dec 01, 2011
- CBI nabs Andhra official in illegal mining case - Nov 28, 2011
- Andhra court cancels IAS officer's bail in mining case - Jan 02, 2012
- CBI questions retired bureaucrat in illegal mining case - Nov 23, 2011
- Woman IAS officer sent to judicial custody - Nov 29, 2011
- Janardhan Reddy gets bail in mining case in Andhra (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- IAS officer appears before CBI in mining case - Nov 20, 2011
- CBI files additional chargesheet in Obulapuram case - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: administrative service officer, bellary, cbi officials, central bureau of investigation, central jail, collusion, friday night, gali, geology, home minister, indian administrative service, investigating agency, investigations, iron ore mining, karnataka minister, managing director, mining company, public servants, quizzed, rajagopal