CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrapeJanuary 30th, 2012 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 30 (IANS) Several social and political activists Monday staged a demonstration in Odisha capital Bhubaneswar seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged gangrape of a woman in November last year in Puri district.
The activists, comprising legislators of opposition parties and members of the civil society and women organisations, demonstrated in front of the statue of the father of the nation at the Mahatma Gandhi Park here.
The demonstrators said they did not think the victim would get justice through a probe by the crime branch of police and the one-man judicial commission.
“Since powerful persons were involved, the government should order a CBI probe,” Prasanta Patnaik of Odisha Gana Samaj, which organised the demonstration, told IANS.
Patnaik said similar demonstrations were also organised at several places in the state.
The 19-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped Nov 28 by some people near her village Arjunagoda, barely 10 km from the state capital.
Her family alleged that the rapists were the same people who had assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had put up a determined fight in court in a molestation case.
The incident came to light recently when the girl was denied proper treatment at a hospital and her case was highlighted by reporters.
The incident sparked a political storm, which forced Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign Jan 19 on moral grounds after the opposition and the girl’s family alleged that he protected her attackers.
Police have arrested four people and conducted lie-detector polygraph tests on them.
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Minister mulls legal action against gangrape remarks - Mar 07, 2012
- AIIMS team examines Odisha gangrape victim - Jan 28, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Activists demand women panel chief's sacking - Feb 19, 2012
- Opposition parties demand justice for rape victim - Jan 16, 2012
- Opposition rejects chargesheet on Odisha gangrape (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Women panel seeks action against doctors - Feb 03, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim dies in hospital - Jun 21, 2012
- Women's panel probes Odisha gang rape - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, attackers, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, crime branch, demonstrators, gandhi park, gangrape, jan 19, judicial commission, mahatma gandhi, molestation case, moral grounds, old woman, opposition parties, political activists, political storm, pradeep, rapists, samaj