CBI opposes bail plea of arms dealer Nanda, sonApril 4th, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Friday again opposed the bail plea of arms dealer Suresh Nanda and his son Sanjeev, arrested for allegedly trying to bribe an income tax official in Mumbai. Opposing the bail plea, the investigating agency read out the transcripts of the 94 calls exchanged between the Nandas, income tax official Ashutosh Verma and chartered accountant Bipin Shah between Feb 7 and March 8. The four were arrested March 9.
“The Nandas were in touch with income tax director Ashutosh Verma from Feb 7 till March 8 and made 94 calls to one another. We are investigating this matter,” said CBI counsel V.P. Singh, objecting to their bail request.
CBI Special Judge I.K. Kochhar deferred the hearing till Saturday.
Last week, the court sent the father-son duo along with Indian Revenue Service officer Verma and chartered accountant Bipin Shah to judicial custody till April 11.
The court had last week asked CBI to bring the transcripts of the phone conversations and deferred the bail hearing to April 4.
The four had allegedly gathered in a Mumbai hotel room to negotiate the bribe amount to be paid to Verma. CBI sources said Verma had struck a deal for Rs.100 million.
Sanjeev Nanda is also accused of mowing down six people with his BMW car in a hit-and-run case in 1999.
- Arms dealer Suresh Nanda's bail plea rejected - Apr 05, 2008
- Suresh, Sanjeev Nanda bail plea to be heard next week - Mar 26, 2008
- Arms dealer Nanda, son sent to judicial custody - Mar 28, 2008
- Arms dealer Nanda's bail plea decision Friday - Mar 31, 2008
- Notice to CBI over arms dealer Nanda's bail plea - Apr 10, 2008
- Arms dealer Nanda, son sent to judicial custody - Apr 11, 2008
- Arms dealer Suresh Nanda, son sent to judicial custody - Apr 11, 2008
- Abhishek Verma, wife seek bail - Aug 07, 2012
- Suresh, Sanjeev Nanda sent to Tihar for 14 days - Mar 14, 2008
- Defer forensic expert's cross-examination: Nupur Talwar - Aug 21, 2012
- Suresh, Sanjeev Nanda judicial custody extended by 14 days - Apr 25, 2008
- Bofors payoff case: Decision on Quattrocchi's fate deferred till March 4 - Feb 21, 2011
- 2G case: Bail plea hearing of five deferred - Oct 03, 2011
- Delhi High Court issues notice to CBI on arms deal - Apr 11, 2008
- Abhishek Verma, wife in seven days CBI custody - Jun 09, 2012