CBI officer arrested for allegedly accepting bribeDecember 28th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 28 (IANS) A senior Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officer, who was probing Rabindranath Tagore’s Nobel Prize medallion theft, was arrested Sunday by the agency’s anti-corruption branch for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs.50,000 from an accused in a murder case, officials said.CBI special superintendent of police (crime branch) Partha Sarathi Basu was nabbed from near an electronics shop at Ultadanga in the north-eastern part of the city by the sleuths who had laid a trap after receiving a tip-off.
Avtar Singh, who owned a garage at Bhowanipore in the southern part of the city, lodged a complaint with the CBI Saturday that Basu had demanded money for releasing him from the murder case.
A team from the agency’s anti-corruption branch, New Delhi, came to the city Sunday morning and caught Basu while accepting Rs.50,000 from Avtar, said CBI officials.
The case dates back to Sep 12, 2006, when an officer of the Department of Revenue Intelligence was allegedly murdered because he intercepted a truck carrying contraband worth Rs.42.2 million at Krishnapur in Guwahati.
On investigation it was found that the truck belonged to Pakhi Mian, who was arrested but later fled from jail, the officials said.
The sleuths also found alleged links between Avtar and another prime accused, Munna Musalman. Avtar Singh was arrested and later freed on bail.
- West Bengal court jails CBI officer for bribery - Jan 27, 2009
- Assets over Rs.9 mn found from CBI officer's residence - Dec 29, 2008
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Kashmir civilian death: National Conference activist records statement - Nov 01, 2011
- Shehla murder: CBI recovers revolver, bike used in crime - Mar 25, 2012
- Punjab official, contractor arrested for graft - Apr 27, 2011
- Central excise officer held for taking bribe in Goa - Jun 01, 2010
- Kolkata trader accuses CBI sleuths of kidnapping, assault - May 17, 2012
- Anti-corruption inspector arrested for taking bribe - Apr 07, 2010
- Chhattisgarh labour official has over Rs.20 mn assets - Jan 07, 2012
- Two provident fund officials arrested for graft - Oct 05, 2011
- Andhra CBI judge arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 19, 2012
- Ex-Karnataka minister Janardhana Reddy's bail cancelled - Jun 13, 2012
- Shehla Masood case: Woman interior designer, contract killer held (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Former MCI president brought to Kolkata for probe - Jul 31, 2010