CBI launches search for Todi brothers, SarogiOctober 29th, 2008 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 29 (IANS) Launching a search for the Todi brothers - industrialis Ashok and Pradipi - and their relative Anil Sarogi, the prime accused in Muslim youth Rizwanur Rahman’s death case, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) raided their houses here Wednesday.”We are constantly making efforts to arrest these three accused but they are now on the run. We’ve raided their residences at Salt Lake and Alipur areas but no one was found there,” CBI special crime branch superintendent of police M. S Sundarrajan told IANS.
“Earlier also we had raided their house, but could not get hold of them,” Sundarrajan said.
A city Metropolitan Magistrate court Monday issued non-bailable arrest warrants against the Todi brothers and Sarogi who were not present in the court on that day despite being asked to appear.
The CBI has so far filed a charge sheet against seven people in the case.
Rizwanur, a 30-year-old graphic designer working with a multimedia firm, was found dead Sep 21 last year near the railway tracks at Kolkata’s Patipukur suburb, barely a month after his marriage with Hindu girl Priyanka - daughter of industrialist Ashok Todi.
As a Hindu-Muslim love story gone horribly wrong, Rizwanur’s death had shocked the entire nation.
The Todi brothers and Sarogi, along with four city police officers, were subsequently accused of threatening and pressurising Rizwanur to annul his marriage with Priyanka and stay away from her.
The Calcutta High Court Aug 14 said Rizwanur was forced to commit suicide and asked the CBI to file charge sheets in the lower court against six people, including the Todi brothers and four police officers Gyanwant Singh, Ajay Kumar, Sukanti Chakraborty and Krishnendu Das. Gyanwant has not yet been named in a charge sheet.
Apart from Sarogi, the investigative agency has also filed charges against Syed Mohiuddin alias Pappu, Rehman’s family friend who was also accused in the case. Mohiuddin has been sent to judicial custody by the court till Nov 10.
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011
- Court issues arrest warrant against Todi brothers in Rizwanur case - Oct 27, 2008
- Rizwanur Rehman death: Apex court questions Bengal, Todi - Oct 18, 2010
- Court asks CBI to conduct fresh probe into Rizwanur death - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: CBI moves Supreme Court, challenges Calcutta High Court's order - Sep 01, 2010
- Rizwanur case: cops get bail, suicide note submitted in court - Oct 01, 2008
- Rizwanur case: Accused police officers asked to surrender - Nov 18, 2008
- Mamata participates in rally to demand justice for Rizwanur - Oct 02, 2008
- CBI moves apex court against fresh probe into Rizwanur death (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- CBI moves apex court against fresh probe into Rizwanur death - Sep 01, 2010
- Court orders CBI to probe Rizwanur death afresh (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur's brother asks court to cancel bail of accused cops - Oct 13, 2008