CBI gets notice on clean chit to Amod Kanth in Uphaar caseJune 3rd, 2009 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) A city court Wednesday issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on its clean chit given to former Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Amod Kanth in the 1997 Uphaar fire tragedy. Kanth was accused of allowing extra seats to be installed in the theatre.
District and Sessions Judge S.P. Garg issued notice to the CBI on a petition filed by the Association of Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) against the investigating agency’s report that it did not find anything incriminating against Kanth. The CBI has to reply by July 28.
In its report, the probe agency had said that there was no witness to the fact that it was Kanth who allowed extra seats in the theatre for any consideration.
Kanth, the then Deputy Commissioner of Police (Licencing), had allegedly allowed retention of 37 extra seats in the theatre in 1979 in violation of the Cinematograph Act.
These extra seats had consequently blocked the exits at the balcony of the theatre where 59 movie watchers died of asphyxia as they could not go out when fire engulfed it during the screening of Hindi blockbuster movie “Border” on June 13, 1997.
- Uphaar case: CBI seeks more time to file reply - Jul 28, 2009
- No change in CBI's clean chit to Amod Kanth in Uphaar Cinema fire case - Aug 29, 2009
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Uphaar fire tragedy: Order on ex-cop's trial Aug 12 - Aug 09, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: Court seeks file on Amod Kanth (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Uphaar fire tragedy: Court seeks file on ex-cop - Jan 30, 2012
- Allegations against me were personal: Amod Kanth - Apr 17, 2009
- Uphaar case: CBI clean chit to former cop Amod Kanth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Uphaar case: Delhi court exempts hurt ex-IPS officer Kanth from personal appearance - Aug 20, 2010
- CBI clean chit to Amod Kanth in Uphaar case - Apr 17, 2009
- Uphaar cinema fire anniversary: Victims' kin plan prayers - Jun 12, 2011
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011