CBI gets another month to probe Prajapati killingJune 7th, 2012 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday gave the Central Bureau of Investigation a month’s extension till June 30 to complete its probe into the killing of Tulsiram Prajapati in an alleged staged shoot-out case and file a charge sheet.
A bench of Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan and Justice J.S. Khehar granted the CBI’s request, after it was told that the investigating agency needed more time as there was a change of investigating officer and the new officer had to go through the records before the charge sheet was finalised.
It is the fourth extension granted to the agency since the apex court handed over the probe to it in April 2011. The latest extension ended May 28.
The CBI, in its charge sheet in the killing of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and his wife Kausarbi, claimed that Prajapati was eliminated in a joint operation by the Gujarat and Rajasthan Police forces as he was the witness to the apprehending of Sheikh and his wife by Gujarat Police in 2005.
The agency claimed that it was Prajapati who had travelled with Sheikh and Kausarbi from Hyderabad to Sangli in Maharashtra by a state roadways bus in November 2005. Gujarat Police had earlier held that the third person was not Prajapati but a man called Kalimuddin.
The CBI contended that the staged killings of Sheikh and later of Prajapati were linked and had to be seen together.
An apex court bench of Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice B.S.Chauhan had ordered the CBI to probe the killing of Prajapati April 8, 2011, on a plea by Prajapati’s mother Narmada Bai.
The Gujarat government had opposed the handing over the investigation to the CBI as it contended that the Congress-led central government was trying to implicate the state’s former minister of state for home Amit Shah.
- CBI to file charge sheet in Prajapati killing in few days (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- SC reserves verdict on Amit Shah's bail in Sohrabuddin case (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- CBI to file charge sheet in Prajapati case few days - Aug 28, 2012
- SC gives CBI two weeks' extension in Prajapati case (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sohrabuddin aide's murder also part of conspiracy: CBI - Aug 25, 2010
- CBI seeks transfer of Sohrabuddin case out of Gujarat - Jul 30, 2010
- Gujarat minister headed 'crime syndicate', apex court told - Sep 28, 2011
- Amit Shah headed extortion gang, CBI tells apex court - Mar 09, 2011
- SC gives CBI two weeks' extension in Prajapati case - Jul 20, 2012
- No vendetta against Amit Shah, CBI tells apex court - Sep 28, 2011
- Gujarat shootout case: Supreme Court orders CBI probe (Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Sohrabuddin case: Supreme Court asks for call details (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Supreme Court orders CBI probe in Gujarat Prajapati encounter case - Apr 08, 2011
- SC rejects Gujarat's plea to review Prajapati shootout order - Jul 13, 2012
- Apex court gives CBI three months in Sohrabuddin probe (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, central government, court bench, gujarat government, gujarat police, hyderabad, investigating agency, killings, maharashtra, minister of state, narmada, police forces, rajasthan, s radhakrishnan, sheikh, shoot out, state roadways, third person