CBI finalises charges in Kerala graft caseJanuary 21st, 2009 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Jan 21 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has finalised a chargesheet in a 12-year-old graft case in Kerala involving a senior leader of the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) in the state. The chargesheet accuses former minister and CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan and 10 others, including some officials, of receiving kickbacks for allotting a contract to a Canadian firm in 1997.
The charges are expected to be filed in the Kerala High Court after the CBI gets a nod from state governor, a CBI official said Wednesday.
“The rules are very clear. The CBI has to get a sanction of the governor if the accused is or was a minister and likewise if there are government officials involved, the chief secretary has to be informed,” said the official, who wished not to be named.
The investigating agency Wednesday submitted in the high court a progress report about the case. A report was also filed in a CBI court here.
The court had in September last year given four months to the CBI to complete the probe.
The Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) had found irregularities in the contract with SNC Lavalin of Canada for the renovation and modernisation of the Pallivassal, Chengulam and Panniyar hydro-electric projects in Idukki district.
CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, as electricity minister in 1997, had awarded the contract to SNC Lavlin.
The high court in January 2007 ordered a CBI probe into the case.
The CBI had questioned Vijayan early this year and a team had visited Canada to get more details into the case.
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- Charges finalised in 12-year-old Kerala graft case (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- Embarrassed CPI-M leadership keeps mum over corruption case - Jan 22, 2009
- CBI charges against Kerala leader politically motivated: CPI-M - Jan 22, 2009
- Kerala's people cannot be misled by fabricated cases: Vijayan - Jan 24, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Kerala's ruling Left front meet skips discussion on Lavalin scam - Jan 31, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan gets bail in SNC Lavalin graft case - Dec 30, 2009
- Kerala CPI-M leader named accused in foreign firm scam - Jan 23, 2009
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- Kerala court asks CBI to complete graft probe in four months - Sep 23, 2008
- Vijayan skips court, counsel wants Antony examined - Sep 24, 2009
- Antony not to be witness in Lavalin graft case: court - Jan 04, 2010