CBI court issues fresh summons for former judgeMay 18th, 2011 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 18 (IANS) A Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special court here Wednesday issued fresh summons for former Punjab and Haryana High Court judge Nirmal Yadav in a bribery case.
Earlier, CBI Special Judge Ritu Tagore had issued summons for Yadav April 30 but these were not served at her Gurgaon residence. The court has now asked Yadav to appear before it July 9.
The bribery scam had rocked this union territory in August 2008.
The CBI had filed a charge-sheet March 4 against Yadav for corruption, conspiracy, destroying evidence and creation of false evidence.
Yadav, then posted at Uttarakhand High Court, retired the same day.
The CBI had also submitted a 126-page documentary evidence in the case.
The other four accused, including Haryana additional advocate general Sanjeev Bansal, a property dealer Rajiv Gupta, Delhi-based hotelier Ravinder Singh Bhasin and property dealer Nirmal Singh, appeared before the court here Wednesday.
The court served them a copy of the charge-sheet and got their signatures on their statements.
President Pratibha Patil had given sanction for the prosecution of former judge Nirmal Yadav in February this year.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court was hit by the scam after a packet containing Rs.1.5 million in cash was delivered Aug 13, 2008 at the Sector 11 residence of high court judge Nirmaljit Kaur.
She complained to the police, who later arrested Bansal, Gupta and Bhasin.
Bansal and Gupta told the police that the money was meant for Nirmal Yadav. They claimed that another packet containing Rs.1.5 million was separately delivered to Yadav at her Sector 24 official residence later on.
Yadav went on leave after her name figured in this bribery scandal. She was later transferred to Uttarakhand High Court.
In the meantime, Yadav had also filed a petition in the Punjab and Haryana High Court here, seeking the quashing of the charge-sheet filed against her by the CBI.
Its hearing is slated May 20.
- CBI files chargesheet against judge in Chandigarh bribery scandal (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Cash-at-door scam: Court adjourns hearing - May 11, 2011
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- SC no to quashing chargesheet against Nirmal Yadav - Sep 10, 2012
- Ex-judge gets bail in cash-in-bag case - Aug 27, 2011
- High court dismisses ex-judge's plea against prosecution - Nov 14, 2011
- SC no to quashing charge sheet against Nirmal Yadav (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cash at judge door case: CBI files chargesheet against Justice Nirmal Yadav - Mar 04, 2011
- CBI files charges against tainted judge - Mar 04, 2011
- Complainant in cash-for-judge scam fails to appear in court - Jan 11, 2010
- Cash-for-judge scam: bar association not allowed to argue - Feb 15, 2010
- Bar association challenges CBI in cash-for-judge scam - Feb 01, 2010
- Court asks CBI not to close cash-for-judge case - Dec 24, 2009
- Cash-at-door scam: Court orders CBI to probe more - Mar 26, 2010
- Cash-for-judge scam reaches last stages in Chandigarh - Dec 20, 2009
Tags: bhasin, bribery case, bribery scandal, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, court judge, destroying evidence, documentary evidence, false evidence, hearin, nirmal singh, president pratibha patil, punjab and haryana high court, rajiv gupta, ritu, sanjeev, special judge, tagore, union territory, yadav