CBI court grants five day remand of arrested customs officersMarch 9th, 2011 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, March 9 (IANS) A Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court here Wednesday night granted five days’ remand of nine people, including senior customs officers, who were arrested a day ago in connection with search operations and raids conducted across Gujarat and other parts of the country to bust a racket of undervalued clearance of voluminous goods.
Among the nine remanded for interrogation custody were seven customs and central excise officers of the rank of superintendents down to inspectors.
The racket involved large scale bribery, allegedly of these officers, in clearing precious metal consignments as scrap material after taking big amounts in underhand deals from Customs House agents.
More than a hundred CBI officers carried out search operations in over 30 premises nationwide including the bulk of them in Gujarat, besides Mumbai and Delhi leading to the arrests. The CBI judge S.H. Vora allowed the five-day custody of the accused against the plea of ten days’ remand.
Ahmedabad customs Superintendents Chandu Kalal, K.C. Suresh and Akil Barot, Superintendent at Mundra, O.P. Pandey, Customs Inspectors at Surat - Devendra Sanghvan and N.B. Chauhan; and customs agents Mehul Zaveri, Tushar Vaghela, Girish Malpani - were sent to five days’ remand.
The CBI sought remand on the ground that the arrested people indulged in malpractice and were allegedly involved in large-scale corruption that took place between July and October last year. The CBI alleged that it required their remand to investigate the whole nexus.
- Suspended IPS officer's judicial custody extended - Feb 29, 2012
- Railway Recruitment Board chairman sent to jail - Jun 24, 2010
- Two Rajasthan cops surrender in Dara Singh killing - Jul 30, 2012
- CBI arrests Railway Recruitment Board chairman - Jun 23, 2010
- CBI to get two-day custody of Amit Shah (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Senior Rajasthan cop sent to police custody - May 16, 2011
- Defence canteen scam: Four accused in CBI custody - Jul 01, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- Court seeks Gujarat, Shah's response on CBI's custody plea - Aug 05, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan case: 14 Gujarat cops now seek CBI probe - Apr 26, 2011
- Excise official sent to police custody - Jan 03, 2012
- Missing nurse case: Legislator sent to judicial custody - Jan 02, 2012
- Ishrat Jahan case: SIT-summoned police officers fail to appear - Apr 29, 2011
- CBI steps up probe into illegal mining - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: akil, barot, cbi court, cbi officers, central bureau of investigation, consignments, court grants, customs inspectors, customs officers, devendra, gujarat, house agents, malpani, mundra, precious metal, remand, scrap material, search operations, tushar, vora