CBI chief retires, successor yet to be namedJuly 31st, 2008 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) chief Vijay Shanker retired Thursday, however, the government is yet to name a new head of the agency. The outgoing CBI chief sought speedy disposal of cases handled by the premier investigating agency.
“Around three crore (30 million) cases are pending before different courts across the country. The CBI needs to brace itself up for the challenge,” Shanker told reporters here.
Special Director M.L. Sharma is widely speculated to succeed him but a notification to this effect is yet to come.
During Shanker’s tenure, the CBI handled cases like Mecca Masjid blast, Malegaon blast and Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj double murder.
As many as 14 people were killed and over 50 injured in a bomb blast in the Mecca Masjid in Hyderabad and in the subsequent police firings in the nearby areas in May last year.
In September 2006, two bomb blasts ripped through Malegaon, a town in Nashik district of Maharashtra, killing at least 40 people.
The sensational Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj double murder took place in Noida near the national capital in May this year.
Shanker Wednesday met reporters as part of his farewell. Shanker, who retired after a 39-year career, was all praise for the media for keeping a check on the agency.
In the meeting, he avoided to comment on controversial issues including Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati’s charge that the agency was being used by the government against her. Instead Shankar chose to offer professional advice to reporters.
“I know journalists are under pressure but I want you not to be friends with officers. Instead, be as critical of CBI as you can,” he said.