CBI arrests senior Revenue Intelligence official for graftMarch 7th, 2012 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 7 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Wednesday arrested Additional Director General of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) C. Rajan for demanding and accepting a bribe of Rs.200,000 and an iPod as first instalment, said CBI officials.
According to CBI, on a complaint lodged by one F. Ubaidullah, a trap was laid for the senior DRI official and he was nabbed Tuesday night. He was Wednesday remanded to custody till March 21.
CBI said the DRI official had demanded a bribe to defreeze the bank accounts of Superking Myatzin, a relative of businessman Joseph who is a friend of Ubaidullah.
It is alleged that the DRI had raided the premises of Joseph and had seized cheque leaves of Myatzin and froze two bank accounts of the latter with Kotak Mahindra Bank.
Joseph had approached Ubaidullah to get the bank account defreezed. When the latter approached Rajan for the purpose, a bribe demand of Rs.1 million was initially made and later scaled down to Rs.800,000 and an I-Pod.
The first instalment of Rs.200,000 and I-Pod was delivered Tuesday to Rajan’s driver.
After ensuring that Rajan had received the bribe money, the CBI caught both - Rajan and his driver. The CBI also raided the house of Rajan and seized incriminating documents including a safety locker.
Rajan’s bank balance of Rs.3.2 million and fixed deposits of Rs.1.1 million have been frozen, CBI said.
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- CBI arrests two PNB officials accepting bribe - Jul 29, 2012
- Bank of India official arrested for bribery - Jul 07, 2012
- CBI nabs another Mumbai IT officer in Rs.15 mn bribe case - Apr 19, 2010
- Top Punjab government functionary arrested for graft (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Prosecute Sonia Gandhi: Punjab minister - Jan 04, 2011
- Everonn managing director, tax official held - Aug 30, 2011
- Suspended CBI judge faces arrest for taking bribe (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- CBI arrests Punjab Police officer for graft (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Air India pays part of dues, gets accounts defreezed - Dec 08, 2011
- CBI raids 19 places in Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll case - Jun 13, 2012
- Bride jailed for over $315,000 fraud for marriage - Jun 20, 2012
- Top Punjab government functionary arrested for graft (Second Lead) - May 05, 2011
- CBI on right track in Adarsh scam probe: High court - Mar 16, 2011
- Millions of unaccounted rupees seized from former Ajmer dairy official - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: bank accounts, bank balance, bribe money, businessman, cbi officials, central bureau of investigation, fixed deposits, graft, i pod, instalment, intelligence official, kotak mahindra bank, rajan, revenue intelligence, rs 1, rs 200, rs 800, s driver, superking, who is a friend