CBI arrests Punjab Police officer for graft (Lead)July 24th, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 24 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Sunday evening stumbled upon over Rs.1 crore in cash, fixed deposit receipts worth several lakhs of rupees and scores of unused bullets from the bungalow of a serving woman Punjab Police officer and arrested her here, probe agency sources said.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Raka Ghira was arrested on charges of corruption. She was posted in Mohali, adjoining Chandigarh.
The CBI search operations in the 1,000-square yard bungalow of the police officer in Sector 15 here continued till late in the evening.
The CBI team laid a trap when Ghira was accepting a bribe of Rs.100,000 from builder K.K. Malhotra. The sources said that the bribe amount was only the initial instalment sought by the DSP from the builder to give him concessions in cases against him.
Though the CBI officials arrested her after she was caught red-handed accepting the bribe, it was the recoveries during the search of her house that left them surprised.
The CBI team had to requisition currency note counting machines after cash worth over Rs.1 crore was recovered from her home.
The CBI also seized documents, including fixed deposit receipts running into several lakhs of rupees. Unused bullets and illegally stored liquor bottle boxes were also recovered from the house, the sources said.
Following the raid and the recovery from her residence, the DSP told the CBI officials that she was feeling uncomfortable and was taken to a government hospital here for a medical check-up.
- CBI remand for Punjab woman police officer - Jul 25, 2011
- Richie rich: Punjab's millionaire woman cop in CBI net - Aug 03, 2011
- Arrested tax official has assets worth crores - Sep 07, 2011
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- CBI arrests income tax official for taking bribe - Apr 06, 2011
- NALCO CMD, wife sent to six-day police custody (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- NALCO CMD, wife arrested for taking bribe (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- CBI nabs another Mumbai IT officer in Rs.15 mn bribe case - Apr 19, 2010
- Punjab functionary resigns after graft charge, arrest - May 08, 2011
- Cut surety amount, Jaya Jaitly tells court (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Top Punjab government functionary arrested for graft (Second Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Arrested NALCO chief, wife to be produced in court - Feb 26, 2011
- Top Punjab government functionary arrested for graft (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- CBI arrests top Punjab functionary on corruption charges - May 05, 2011
- Colonel arrested for bribery in Kashmir - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: 1 crore, agency sources, bribe, cbi officials, cbi team, central bureau of investigation, currency note, deposit receipts, deputy superintendent, government hospital, instalment, lakhs, late in the evening, liquor bottle, medical check, raka, requisition, rs 1, rupees, search operations