CBI arrests 17 travel agents in KeralaDecember 29th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi (Kerala), Dec 29 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Monday arrested 17 travel agents here for allegedly securing emigration clearances for their clients using fake documents.The travel agents were instructed by the CBI to come to Kochi Monday where they were taken into custody. Later, they were presented before the court, an official said.
There are widespread allegations of corruption against the city-based Emigration Office.
The CBI has been tracking the travel agents since 2006 when the then Emigration Officer Surya Narayana Rao was arrested. Since his arrest, the CBI was trying to bust the racket which includes travel agents and those in the recruiting industry.
The travel and recruitment industry in the state is booming as close to 2.5 million Keralites work abroad, of which close to 90 per cent are based in the Middle East.
- 11 officials booked for illegal emigration in six years - Aug 05, 2010
- CBI raids over illegal human trafficking - Apr 22, 2011
- CBI court grants five day remand of arrested customs officers - Mar 09, 2011
- Goa sets up panel against fake recruitment agents - Sep 12, 2011
- Goa compiling blacklist of fake travel, job agents - Mar 11, 2011
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- CBI arrests Railway Recruitment Board chairman - Jun 23, 2010
- Kerala Police, CBI in stand-off - Apr 23, 2012
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- Indians free to seek jobs in Libya - Nov 03, 2010
- Achuthanandan's fears unfounded in sex case probe: High court - Nov 23, 2011
- Five men arrested with fake notes - Sep 13, 2011
- Man arrested with 11 fake passports - Jun 17, 2010
- CBI busts recruitment racket in ordnance factory - Dec 29, 2011
- CBI arrests Emaar Township executive - Jan 28, 2012