Cattle perish in arson attack on shacks in UPJuly 14th, 2012 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kanpur, July 14 (IANS) A large number of cattle perished while some people sustained injuries after their shacks on a disputed land near this Uttar Pradesh city were set on fire by a gang, police said here Saturday.
The land at a prime location in Bithoor, on the outskirts of Kanpur, was being eyed by land grabbers for a long time and they attacked the villagers late Friday to get hold of it, Kanpur Deputy Inspector General of Police Amitabh Yash said.
A police complaint has been registered against 14 people, Yash told IANS.
However, residents accuse local police officials of being hand in gloves with attackers. When a police team reached after the arson attack, people started pelting stones at it, injuring an official.
Earlier, the issue of land ownership was raised at the local panchayat and police were informed of the dispute, but it remained unresolved.
The local police station chief has been suspended, while the circle officer of the area has been transferred, Yash said.
- IIT-Kanpur alumni heading city's administration, police - Mar 23, 2012
- Day after clash, tension in Bharatpur continues - Sep 15, 2011
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Constable fires at cop in UP police station - Apr 09, 2012
- Kanpur cop dies after being shot inside police station (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- MIM leader attack: Seven accused sent to judicial custody - May 04, 2011
- Curfew further relaxed in Moradabad - Aug 12, 2011
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Four killed in China stabbing, arson attack - Aug 04, 2012
- Violence erupts after truck runs over a child in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Five injured in communal clash - Aug 25, 2011
- Tipsy cop kills girl in celebratory firing - Jun 28, 2012
- 12 arrested after communal clash - Mar 20, 2011
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- 30 injured in communal clash in Meerut - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: amitabh, arson attack, attackers, cattle, deputy inspector general, gloves, july 14, kanpur, land grabbers, outskirts, panchayat, police complaint, police officials, police station, police team, prime location, shacks, station chief, uttar pradesh city, yash