Cats inspired Egypt’s Pharaonic fashion rageMay 30th, 2011 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, May 30 (IANS) A breed of cat called the Egyptian mau worshipped in the days of Pharaohs had been a source of inspiration for Egypt’s Pharaonic fashion, says an expert.
These cats were considered sacred at the time, and were worshipped and immortalized through many of the ancient Egyptians’ artifacts and temples.
“When you look at evidence documenting the way ancient Egyptian women dressed, you can see they wore necklaces similar to the natural markings around the collars of Egyptian Maus,” says veterinarian Abdel Rahman Sameh Fahmy.
“This influence is also echoed in the makeup worn at the time, which emphasized a certain eye shape resembling that of the Egyptian Mau,” Egypt’s Al-Masry Al-Youm newspaper quoted Fahmy as saying.
Given the high regard these cats once held in the Egyptian society, it’s surprising that they are endangered today.
“People don’t seem to be aware anymore of just how special this breed of cat is,” said Fahmy, who works for the Egyptian Mau Rescue Organization (EMRO).
The centre gives shelter and medical care to stray Maus, according to the report Friday. “The Mau is the only naturally spotted domestic cat in the world,” says Fahmy.
EMRO has begun summer courses in schools so students can learn about the animal.
“They’d definitely learn more here than they would at the zoo,” Fahmy said.
- Egypt mulls transferring Mubarak to prison hospital - Apr 22, 2011
- "Very sick man" Mubarak 'fainting' due to psychological stress - Feb 15, 2011
- NASA rocket to bear name of Egyptian woman killed in protests - Feb 11, 2011
- Mubarak 'very sick', fainting due to depression - Feb 15, 2011
- Mubarak's wife pens book on grandson - May 19, 2011
- Mubarak's assets not frozen in EU: Report - Feb 18, 2011
- Football matches postponed in Egypt for security reasons - Jan 29, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak is gravely ill: Report - Feb 14, 2011
- Egyptian woman seeks divorce over Ramadan cooking row - Aug 09, 2011
- Mubarak gets $339 as monthly allowance - Mar 29, 2011
- Tonnes of diesel spill into the Nile - Sep 12, 2010
- Libyan unrest will damage tourism industry: Egyptian officials - Mar 02, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak having cancer treatment in Saudi: Paper - Mar 02, 2011
- Egyptian court to probe Mubarak family's bank accounts - Mar 08, 2011
- Politicians and fans blame Egyptian army for soccer violence - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: al masry al youm, al masry al youm newspaper, ancient egyptian women, ancient egyptians, artifacts, cairo, domestic cat, egyptian mau, egyptian maus, egyptian society, eye shape, fashion rage, medical care, necklaces, pharaohs, pharaonic, rescue organization, sameh, veterinarian, worshipped