CAT sets aside Andhra police chief’s appointmentApril 27th, 2011 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 27 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) Wednesday set aside the appointment of Andhra Pradesh police chief K. Aravinda Rao saying it was done in violation of rules.
It directed the state government to appoint a new director general of police as per the rules by June 9 and held that till that time Aravinda Rao can continue as the DGP.
CAT passed the orders on a petition filed by Home Secretary P. Gautam Kumar, challenging the appointment of Aravinda Rao.
Gautam Kumar, the seniormost Indian Police Service (IPS) officer in the state, had accused the government of violation of seniority rules and gross mismanagement of the cadre.
Gautam Kumar, who belongs to the 1975-batch of IPS, challenged the appointment of his junior Aravinda Rao, who is from the 1977-batch.
Aravinda Rao was appointed DGP Sep 1 last year following the retirement of R.R. Girish Kumar, whose appointment was also challenged by two IPS officers.
The state government is likely to challenge the orders of CAT in the high court.
- Dinesh Reddy Andhra's new police chief - Jun 30, 2011
- Court quashes Karnataka police chief's appointment - Mar 31, 2012
- Andhra Police officer suspended for absence from duty - Jun 19, 2012
- Infant is Karnataka top cop (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Andhra gets new police chief - Aug 31, 2010
- Yadav seeks reinstatement as Andhra police chief - Oct 31, 2009
- Stop-gap arrangement for Karnataka top police post - Jan 31, 2011
- Apex court stays order in Karnataka cop's case (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Apex court sets aside Karnataka high court order indicting Bidari (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Ex-police chief to head Tamil Nadu public service panel - Jan 21, 2012
- CAT scraps promotion given to four IPS officers - Aug 19, 2010
- Apex court stays order in Karnataka top cop's case (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Court sets aside Tamil Nadu top cop's appointment - Oct 08, 2010
- Three Punjab DGPs transferred - Mar 16, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh gets new top cop - for just a month! - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: appointment, aravinda, central administrative tribunal, gautam kumar, girish, gross mismanagement, home secretary, indian police service, ips officers, petition, retirement, seniority, state government