Caste council in Rajasthan ostracises 40 Dalit familiesJune 30th, 2012 - 11:45 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, June 30 (IANS) A caste council in a village in Rajasthan’s Udaipur district ordered residents to ostracize 40 Dalit families when one of them disobeyed its dictat to stop constructing a new house, police said.
According to police, the incident took place Cheepala village in Udaipur district, some 400 km from Jaipur.
“A Dalit family was constructing a house in the village. The neighbour who belonged to Rajput community objected to the construction of a sun shed and demanded that the entire portion of the house on his side be razed down,” said a police officer.
He added that when the family did not raze down the portion, the neighbour approached the caste council in the village.
“It slapped a fine of Rs.21,000 on the dalit family and ordered to expel all the 40 families belonging to Dalits in the village from the society. It means that they would not be able to mingle with others and would not be able to buy grocery items from the shops. Supply of milk, water and other items were also prohibited,” said the officer.
These Dalit families approached the police Friday evening and lodged a case.
“We are investigating the case,” said the officer.
- Caste council in Rajasthan orders family's boycott, police file case - Aug 04, 2012
- Boy elopes with girl, khap orders attack on kin - Aug 23, 2011
- Woman branded witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 04, 2012
- Dalit groom seeks police protection to ride mare - Feb 11, 2012
- Eight arrested for stripping, beating eloping couple - Jul 24, 2012
- Caste council strips, beats woman, paramour in Rajasthan - Jul 23, 2012
- Rajasthan woman seeks annulment of her child marriage - Aug 04, 2012
- Rajasthan woman approaches court to annul child marriage - Jun 12, 2012
- Rajasthan girl seeks annulment of her child marriage - Jun 18, 2012
- Four killed in house collapses in Rajasthan - Sep 05, 2011
- Woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- Dalit killed for plucking two brinjals in Bihar village - Nov 10, 2010
- 'Death money' custom causing law and order in Rajasthan - Mar 15, 2011
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- Tribal woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Jul 08, 2012