Caste council in Rajasthan orders family’s boycott, police file caseAugust 4th, 2012 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 4 (IANS) Cases have been registered against members of a caste council in a village in Rajasthan’s Bhilwara district which ordered residents to ostracise a family disobeying a diktat to withdraw a dowry harassment complaint, police said Saturday.
The caste council threatened to slap a cash fine of Rs.2 lakh on anyone in the village who mingled with the ostracised family, they added. Police registered cases against 40 members of the council Friday.
According to police, the incident took place at Padampura village in the district, some 250 km from Jaipur.
“Jagganath Dhakar has registered a first information report (FIR) with the police. Dhakar said that he had registered a dowry harassment case against seven in-laws of his daughter when she was forced to leave their house for not meeting their dowry demands,” said a police officer.
The officer said that the in-laws approached the caste council members in Padampura.
“Dhakar says that the caste council members held a public meeting in the village about a week ago and pressurised him to withdraw the case. When he refused to follow the order, the council ordered the villagers to ostracize him and his entire family,” the officer said.
“As per the orders, a resident would have to pay Rs.2 lakh to the council if he or she is found speaking with the ostracised family members. The family was prohibited from buying even grocery items from shops in the village,” the officer added.
- Caste council in Rajasthan ostracises 40 Dalit families - Jun 30, 2012
- Harassed for dowry, woman kills self, son in Rajasthan - Jun 03, 2012
- 'Death money' custom causing law and order in Rajasthan - Mar 15, 2011
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- 'Witch' hunt continues in Rajasthan - Oct 04, 2011
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Delhi woman commits suicide - May 13, 2012
- Police told to give Mumbai woman her 'dowry' money - Feb 16, 2011
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Rajasthan girl seeks annulment of her child marriage - Jun 18, 2012
- Woman harassed by panchayat kills herself - Apr 30, 2011
- Pain of social exclusion can be deep, long-lasting - May 11, 2011
- Goa becoming 'dowry destination'? - Jun 21, 2011
- Caste council strips, beats woman, paramour in Rajasthan - Jul 23, 2012