Cash for votes rains in Tamil Nadu, Rs.3.82 mn seizedApril 3rd, 2011 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 3 (IANS) It is not only freebies that are raining in Tamil Nadu ahead of the April 13 assembly elections, but also cash for votes - and a lot of it.
Giving a glimpse of the money power play in the polls, the Election Commission Sunday said a total of Rs.3.82 million was seized from various political functionaries after a single day’s raid Saturday.
Flying squads comprising officials from the EC and Income Tax department have been conducting surprise checks on vehicles and other places to seize the movement of unaccounted money.
According to the EC, over Rs.1.66 million kept in 105 plastic bags was seized from the house of a panchayat chairman belonging to DMK party in Tiruvannamali district, around 185 km from here.
The money bags were kept with acquaintance slips indicating the persons to whom they were to be distributed.
The seized money has been deposited in the government treasury.
The flying squad had a rich haul in Dharmapuri district seizing Rs.1.1 million from an AIADMK functionary and Rs.990,000 from two DMK officials.
In Tirunelvelli a sum of Rs.46,500 were seized from an AIADMK official when he was trying to distribute the money to voters.
According to the EC, a sum of Rs.25,000 was seized from a person while distributing it in Tiruvannamalai town. His party affiliation is being ascertained.
The ruling DMK has been opposing vehicle checks and cash seizures saying that it puts small businessmen and others in difficulty.
- Cash for votes:Bribes or sharing of spoils? - Apr 20, 2011
- With AIADMK win, voters eye freebies of laptops, gold mangalsutra - May 13, 2011
- Money, money... how moolah gets around in Tamil Nadu polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Cash running into millions seized - Mar 12, 2011
- Virtual tools in Tamil Nadu's real political battle - Mar 08, 2011
- Tamil Nadu freebie wars: AIADMK ups DMK's promises - Mar 24, 2011
- Arms, cash, illicit liquor: Punjab goes to political war (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 08, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear Tamil Nadu's freebie case - Sep 16, 2011
- Bogus voters will be jailed and cash seized, warns poll panel - Apr 05, 2011
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Casg flow in Tamil Nadu during polls a challenge: official - Mar 14, 2011
- BJP promises free laptops, fixed deposits in Tamil Nadu - Mar 26, 2011
- Poll panel has power to seize cash, court told - Mar 28, 2011
- Rs.120 mn cash, illicit liquor seized in poll-bound Punjab - Dec 31, 2011
- Rs.10 million in cash seized from cars - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: acquaintance, assembly elections, businessmen, ec, election commission, flying squads, freebies, glimpse, income tax department, money bags, money power, party affiliation, plastic bags, power play, rich haul, rs 1, seizures, single day, surprise checks, vehicle checks