Cash-for-judge scam: Himachal orders probe into land dealAugust 25th, 2008 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 25 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government Monday ordered a probe into a land deal in Solan district involving a judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court following a bribery scandal in Chandigarh.The land deal involving 18 buyers, including Justice Nirmal Yadav, her daughter Suruchi, and three family members of her brother Ajay Yadav, a Haryana Congress minister, has come under focus after the cash-for-judge scam rocked the judicial circles in Chandigarh last week.
Punjab and Haryana High Court Judge Nirmaljit Kaur alerted authorities after former Haryana additional advocate general Sanjeev Bansal’s assistant delivered a packet containing Rs.1.5 million in cash. Bansal later said the cash was meant for another person and it was part of a land deal. He is in Chandigarh police remand till Tuesday.
Joint Secretary (Revenue) Rameshwar Sharma would conduct an inquiry into the land deal, Himachal Pradesh Revenue Minister Thakur Gulab Singh told IANS.
He said the probe was ordered following reports that allegedly wrong details like fake names and addresses of buyers were furnished in the deed.
“No erring official would be spared,” he said.
The land deal was executed Aug 14.
Meanwhile, sources in the government said a team of the Chandigarh police Monday reached Solan town and collected revenue records of the 11 bighas of land near Kumarhatti town, 60 km from here.
However, Solan superintendent of police S.P.S. Verma and Deputy Commissioner Amandeep Garg have denied any knowledge in this regard.
Verma said Chandigarh’s senior superintendent of police Sudanshu Srivastava talked to him on phone and discussed the issue, but “we have not received any written request from them regarding the custody of land records”.
- SC no to quashing chargesheet against Nirmal Yadav - Sep 10, 2012
- High court dismisses ex-judge's plea against prosecution - Nov 14, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against judge in Chandigarh bribery scandal (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Judge bribery scandal: Himachal begins probe into land deal - Aug 29, 2008
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- CBI team visits Himachal to probe cash-for-judge scam - Sep 02, 2008
- Ex-judge gets bail in cash-in-bag case - Aug 27, 2011
- CBI court issues fresh summons for former judge - May 18, 2011
- Complainant in cash-for-judge scam fails to appear in court - Jan 11, 2010
- Cash-at-door scam: Court adjourns hearing - May 11, 2011
- CBI files charges against tainted judge - Mar 04, 2011
- Cash-for-judge scam: bar association not allowed to argue - Feb 15, 2010
- Court asks CBI not to close cash-for-judge case - Dec 24, 2009
- Cash-for-judge scam: CBI seeks more time to complete probe - Feb 10, 2009
- Bar association challenges CBI in cash-for-judge scam - Feb 01, 2010