Cash bonanza for armed forces CWG medal winnersOctober 15th, 2010 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 15 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Friday announced a cash bonanza of Rs.12 lakh for each of the gold medal winning armed forces sportspersons, Rs.7 lakh for those who won silver and Rs.5 lakh to the bronze medal winners at the just concluded 19th Commonwealth Games (CWG).
The armed forces sportspersons have won 25 medals — 10 gold, seven silver and eight bronze — out of India’s total tally of 101. There were 50 sportspersons drawn from the three services who competed in 10 Games events.
Antony commended the contribution of the armed forces in making the Commonwealth Games a success.
Besides participating in the competitions, the services were involved in the day-to-day management of the Queen’s baton relay during its over 100-day journey across the country.
Armed forces bands participated in the opening and closing ceremonies, and flag hoisting during the medal presentations.
Indian Army engineers also built in record time a footbridge near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium after an under-construction footbridge near the main venue of the Oct 3-14 sporting event collapsed barely days ahead of the sporting gala.
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Haryana's Olympians to get Rs.11 lakh reward - Jun 01, 2012
- Himachal honours its Asiad, CWG medallists - Jan 25, 2011
- Commonwealth delegates to study Haryana sports programme - Feb 08, 2011
- Himachal to honour Asiad, CWG medal winners - Nov 29, 2010
- Petroleum ministry to award CWG medal winners - Oct 15, 2010
- Mamata Banerjee announces awards for Railway players winning CWG medals - Oct 08, 2010
- After CWG, Haryana to reward its Asian Games athletes - Dec 20, 2010
- Awards, promotions for railwaymen winning Games medals - Oct 06, 2010
- Low-key welcome in Hyderabad for champion shuttlers - Oct 16, 2010
- Haryana assures top sportspersons of jobs - Jun 30, 2011
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
- Haryana government felicitates Asian Games athletes - Dec 22, 2010
- Punjab players get cash rewards - Feb 05, 2011
- After medallists, Haryana to reward CWG participants as well - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: antony, armed forces, army engineers, bonanza, bronze medal winners, commonwealth games, competitions, day management, defence minister, footbridge, gold medal, indian army, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, lakh, medal presentations, medals, New Delhi, record time, tally