Cash-at-door scam: Court orders CBI to probe moreMarch 26th, 2010 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 26 (IANS) A special court here Friday directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to further probe a case in which Rs.1.5 million were recovered from outside the door of a Punjab and Haryana High Court judge’s house nearly 19 months ago.
CBI special court judge Darshan Singh also dismissed a petition filed by the Punjab and Haryana High Court Bar Association opposing the CBI’s request to close the case, also known as the cash-at-door scam.
The court fixed May 26 for the next hearing.
The CBI December last year filed a closure report in the case as it did not get the sanction to prosecute some of the main suspects.
The scam came to light after a packet containing Rs.1.5 million was delivered Aug 13, 2008 at the door of Sector 11 residence of newly-appointed high court judge Nirmaljit Kaur.
She complained to police and got a case registered.
Police later arrested the (then) Haryana additional advocate general Sanjeev Bansal, property dealer Rajiv Gupta and Delhi-based hotelier Ravinder Singh.
Bansal and Gupta told police that the money was meant for another high court judge, Nirmal Yadav. They claimed that another packet containing Rs.1.5 million was later delivered at Yadav’s Sector 24 official residence.
Yadav, who went on leave Aug 22 after her name figured in the case, was recently transferred to the Uttrakhand High Court.
While the case was handed over from Chandigarh Police to the CBI, the Supreme Court also set up a committee of senior judges to investigate the matter separately.
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- CBI court issues fresh summons for former judge - May 18, 2011
- Ex-judge gets bail in cash-in-bag case - Aug 27, 2011
- Cash-at-door scam: Court adjourns hearing - May 11, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against judge in Chandigarh bribery scandal (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- SC no to quashing chargesheet against Nirmal Yadav - Sep 10, 2012
- High court dismisses ex-judge's plea against prosecution - Nov 14, 2011
- Complainant in cash-for-judge scam fails to appear in court - Jan 11, 2010
- Court asks CBI not to close cash-for-judge case - Dec 24, 2009
- Bar association challenges CBI in cash-for-judge scam - Feb 01, 2010
- CBI files charges against tainted judge - Mar 04, 2011
- Cash-for-judge scam reaches last stages in Chandigarh - Dec 20, 2009
- Cash-for-judge scam: bar association not allowed to argue - Feb 15, 2010
- CJI refuses to comment on cash-for-judge scam - May 23, 2009
- Cash at judge door case: CBI files chargesheet against Justice Nirmal Yadav - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: 19 months, 5 million, advocate, cbi, central bureau of investigation, closure report, court judge, darshan singh, money, nirmal, petition, punjab and haryana high court, rajiv gupta, rs 1, sanction, supreme court